Keep Masters on Resume?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Deuces 88, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Deuces 88

Deuces 88 Rookie

Jun 5, 2014

Hello all. A little about me. I am a teacher in NJ. For the past five years i have taught part time, substitute taught and took two maternity leaves all which has been great experience. I love to teach and all the people i work with tell me i'm great to work with.

Originally i was a phys ed major, however i found myself wanting to teach in a classroom once i gained experience, especially special ed. So i went out and got certified in Special Ed (teacher program), Elementary Ed and Middle School Science. This is the first year i am applying using all four certifications.

My question however pertains to my Masters. Originally after my undergrad i got a MA in Administraion. While i'm proud of that accomplishment i also realize it can go against me. The majority of people tell me to leave it on my resume, however i hear stories of districts who won't even look at me because of it.

I took it off my resume but am considering adding it back on. With it i'll have a total of 52 grad credits. I just want to know people's opinions, will it help or hurt me? Or does it just depend on the district?

I've put so much time and effort into this teaching thing. I love doing it, however the search has been extremely stressful. I second guess myself alot. Thanks for any opinions, they would be appreciated.

3. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 6, 2014

I would definitely leave it on. Wouldn't you be listing it on an application anyway? Omitting major info on a resume seems like a bad idea.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2014

Leave it on.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 6, 2014

Leave it on, but I agree: I know that some P's won't want to have to pay for a person who has a Master's degree. It's a complete shame- you're better educated than without it and that's worthwhile for our students!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 6, 2014

Put it back on. It would be false advertising to leave it off your resume. What would you do if you were hired but at a lower pay scale than you deserve? Your future employers would either have to be kept in the dark, or you would catch them off-guard.

7. Deuces 88

Deuces 88 Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

Honestly my idea was to leave it off my resume and not put it back on. Then once i got hired i would put it back on if i ever needed to look again. I wouldn't even tell the original district i applied in.

Still as one of you mentioned, although i doubt they would find out, i still feel bad lying about it.

However my biggest concern is people being turned off by the fact i have it. Personally i feel it makes my resume look even better. I work extremely hard and have done so to make myself more marketable. However i don't know if other schools will share the same thoughts.

I know there's going to be certain districts that won't want to pay me. Lets just say its 25% that don't, does that mean i look better in the other 75%? Its alot of unknown factors and its definitely frustrating, but i think i'm going to put it back on. Thanks for your opinions again, it is appreciated.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 6, 2014

When they get a copy of your teaching certificate, it would be on there, right? Leave it on there.

9. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

In the case of my school, teachers with relevant master's degrees (pertaining to their teaching subject) are paid more. However, my superintendent does not consider a postgrad degree in Administration as relevant and therefore does not count it as eligible for pay increase. This policy doesn't concern me, so I have no strongs feelings towards it, but just wanted to point out that eligibility for pay increase varies with each school district.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2014

I have also worked in several districts where my Master's in Administration did not count for a pay increase. It has to specifically be in teaching to get paid more.

11. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 6, 2014

leave it on. just be ready to answer any questions concerning it: why did you get it? are you thinking about going into administration? why or why not? etc.

otherwise if its brought up you can say you really want the teaching job and would be willing to not be paid for that master's degree since its not directly related to the subject you hope to teach?

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2014

Same here. Your masters has to be relevant to your current teaching assignment to get paid more for it in my district. A teacher with a MA in admin wouldn't get the salary bump.

If I were interviewing and saw that on a resume, I'd wonder why someone got a master's degree in administration yet was applying to be a teacher. I might question how dedicated the person would be to the teaching position they were applying for (is it a "back up" because they can't find an admin position, are they just looking to get in somewhere and climb the ladder, etc.) Just something to think about.

13. Deuces 88

Deuces 88 Rookie

Jun 7, 2014

Thanks for the responses. I have no problem if the district doesn't pay me for my admin. I really don't. When i originally went for it i wanted to get something that separated me from others. I wanted to show potential employers that i was a hard worker. Quite honestly i'm not even sure i'd ever want to go into admin. If i ever did it would be something that would have to fall in my lap.

I feel having the graduate work and the multiple certs show i am determined. However NJ is extremely competitive so i didn't want to do anything to hurt myself. I can tell potential employers on interviews the same things i said above, again though i just hope they aren't just discounting me for an interview right away.

As most of you mentioned i think i will be placing it back on. I always wanted to go to grad school and am proud of the accomplishment. I can't control what others think.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 7, 2014

Excellent. The main thing is making sure your resume and application are complete and correct. You may miss out on a couple of interviews with the degree indicated, but you could LOSE an offer if you're found to have submitted fraudulent information.