Keep interviewing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DSD, Jun 6, 2013.

1. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

I was offered and accepted a position at a school I really like (ideal grade, subject, location). It's an established charter school with an excellent progress report from the DOE. I am truly thrilled.

However, I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to two interviews I lined up before the offer. There are two reasons for this, both of which I know are mostly my own neuroses. First, it is an at-will agreement, which I've never worked under before; and, second, my family, who really look down on teaching, have me fearing that the position will disappear because of funding. Am I crazy to consider going on these interviews?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Personally, I would NOT go on the interview. Doing so would waste their time; there are plenty of qualified candidates that didn't land an interview, and I think it is unfair to them as well. Plus, if you eventually are offered a position, it is doing more harm to the district and the other interviewees. Not to mention it will cause more stress and second guessing on your end.
    This, of course, is just my opinion.

I'm assuming you've signed a contract? If not, my opinion completely changes. I've been at-will for years. My entire state is at-will- unions are illegal. I wouldn't stress about that.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Reason number one...being at will works both ways...you can leave without having your certificate censored. Many states have now eliminated tenure, which puts people like me (40+ teaching) on an annual contract in an at will state. Not a problem at all.

Reason number two...many, many professions lay people off...is that a reason not to pursue your chosen career?

It sounds like you have been offered a job you will like...you may just have to deal with your family.

5. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

I guess I am considering going on these interviews as possible back up options. If I even get offered either position, of course. Neither of them are as attractive to me as the offer I accepted, so I wouldn't choose them over the current offer I have.

There is no contract - it's just an at-will agreement.

I have seriously considered how unfair it would be to take an interview spot from another candidate. But I think the waiting period between now and the start of the school year is what's making me nervous that something bad will happen, and I will kick myself for not having sought a back up.

6. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

Thanks for the reassurance about the at-will issue. I have learned how common it is since researching it online the past few days. But I didn't know it protects my certificate . . .

As for second reason: according to my family, yes :( As cheesy as it sounds, I am firm in my passion to teach. But facing the reality of getting an offer and hearing my family's "warnings" has really made me confused.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 6, 2013

I'm at an established charter, too. I turned down interviews after I had gotten the job and before I signed the contract. Yes, we have a contract...but we are also at-will. I don't really get how it all works to be honest. At my school, the at-will thing makes no difference at all, at least so far. My administration is fair. I haven't seen anyone get fired or anything. I might feel differently if the charter was brand new, but since you say it's established and has a good reputation, I think you should be EXCITED you have the job! :D Congratulations!!

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 6, 2013

I did part of my student teaching at a charter school. It was awful. They had openings there and I didn't even apply because I didn't want to work with that principle/company. I felt like they put even more emphases on testing than the public schools. They also had very little services for special education students.

I did 6 months there(middle school) and 6 months in a regular public high school. I decided then I wouldn't want to be in a charter unless I just couldn't find anything else.(I'm sure not all charters are like this one)

9. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

Objectively, I know that my fears are largely unfounded. My family doesn't know anything about education other than what they hear in the media. The school I accepted the offer at had very impressive results on their teacher survey last year and is in the 97th percentile of schools according to the DOE's progress report for last year. When I spoke to HR to find out about the position's details, they said that it would take something truly egregious for me to be dismissed. From what I can find online, about half of the staff has been there for at least 2 years.

Typing all this out, I realize I should take your advice and feel lucky and secure.

10. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

That sounds like a terrible experience!

The position I accepted is actually SPED and all classes in the school are inclusion, which is one of the reasons I was thrilled to get this position.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2013

It sounds like you have made the decision to stay with the charter. I have a positive story for you...

I have a friend going into her 3rd year at a charter, loves it, and would retire there. Most schools in my district usually have many job openings each year. This school had 1! No one wants to leave.

I wish the same for you at your new school.