keep applying

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by clarnet73, Jul 24, 2009.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

I promise.

Even if you've sent that application 500,000 times. Send it again. Keep your name up towards the top of their list should anything come up.

My mom was talking to her principal this past week, mentioning that I have a job for the fall (I've done a lot of subbing in their district), and they got talking about when openings come up, how she decides which people to interview. There are way more qualified prospective teachers in our area than there are positions for, so they get TONS of online applications.

She only looks at the most recently submitted 100 or so and chooses the best from there. Her theory is that if they haven't updated anything since June, they either have a job or aren't interested any more.

So keep re-applying places, it's the only way anyone will think to contact you :)

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

What do you mean by reapply?

4. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

When you say haven't updated anything, is it like applying online for jobs or adding in things on the application part? Every day I check the online application, which has a tab for currently posted jobs. Every day I look through the list and click 'apply for job' when I find one that fits. Does that help to update my application?

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

Yea I only update when I see a position I want to add. Otherwise I have no reason to update anything.

6. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I think that "re-applying" varies depending on what type of application process is used.

I think the advice given was really great.I love to hear what P are actually thinking throughout the hiring process.

Sounds crazy, but on some applications if I go back into it afterI've applied and change something, the program will automatically update and re-submit.

Each application program is different though. There are some programs where I can complete an application from the district, but I can't apply unless a position is actually posted. Yes my application may be on file with the district, but do they really see it among the other 2,000 applications? I don't know.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

I'm actually referring to an online system we have in the vast majority of the Chicago suburbs, although I'm sure it's in use elsewhere as well. Ours is set up that you can have an application active in the district, and you mark any current openings you're interested in (most places) as well as any areas you're interested in for future openings. The districts post their specific openings, and you can then go back and edit the app, adding that specific job. You can also "edit" at any time, although I've often changed NOTHING and hit "submit" and it reapplies me again :)

Even if your system isn't lik that, I think the advice still stands... do whatever you have to do to keep your name fresh in their mind. I have always applied to EVERY district in the 5-county area at the beginning of summer, then gone back and updated when they had an opening I was qualified for. Then I did them again a few weeks before school started just in case there were last-minute openings. I figured that if they saw my name enough, they might interview me just to get me off the list ;)

8. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

That sounds close to the way the online system works here, except we don't deal with adding the opening to lists. It's just a very simple click and an email is sent to the P. I've gotten the two out of three interviews I've had through this system.

So of course when another opening pops up in the same school, I hit the button again. I also always try to at least send an email to the school with a letter of interest and a resume attachment since I don't really have the gas to keep running around everywhere to hand in applications. I did for a while though, but the gas usage was just horrible.

This really is great advice, just needed some things cleared up about it. ;p

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

what is the system called? Im just curuous if ti might be the same as the one i see often. Although, i;d say only about 15% of schools use an online app at the moment