Karaoke for fluency?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by allisonbeth, Aug 9, 2009.

1. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

Anybody ever used karaoke to improve fluency? If so, any tips? (Wondering if this is a good idea or not...)

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

What would you do with it?

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

Sing songs? Or just use the mic or what?

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2009

It's so funny that you should ask that. We were interviewing a candidate who was talking about her karaoke experience and one of the teachers was like - OMG we could use that for fluency practice. They were thinking of purchasing a machine for the afterschool club.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2009

Wow- never thought about it, but kind of intrigued by the idea...just make sure the kids have a copy of the lyrics, and keep it clean. It always cracks me up to hear people sing the wrong words to songs!!

Songs that people consistently sing the wrong words:
    McArthur Park
    Respect
    Blinded by the Light

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122318

7. SHF4EL

SHF4EL Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I have actually used Karaoke for reading fluency for years. It helps with word recognition, reading rate, vocabulary, building confidence as a reader, and (with questioning), comprehension. Since it's an enjoyable activity, you can get even your most reluctant readers to participate.

You definitely have to be careful with the songs chosen, but I have used Disney songs and popular culture songs, even television theme songs at Family Reading Nights with great success!

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

I use karaoke for fluency!!! I've been doing it for four years and got a grant for a machine from Donors Choose. Definitely choose songs wisely (pre-screen if necessary) and allow group singing so kids aren't so self-conscious. We've done Karaoke Klub for grades 3-5 for the last few years and it's been full every time. It's especially good for my ELLs and even my dyslexic kids love it. Can't rave enough about it!

9. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Thanks everyone. My children have an old karaoke machine and I was wondering what I could do with it. Maybe I will make it a "station" that is available on Fridays. Now I need to find the CDs...of course the only one I found so far is Christmas tunes.

I was watching some kids play Rock Band and that was when it hit me that the singer had to really use his reading skills to keep up.

10. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I LOVE the idea- have always wanted a reason to buy a karaoke machine and NOW I am doing it!

Anyone have a good resource for CD's? I've never seen any acceptable ones...more than Disney ...

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

You mean Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" isn't acceptable?? Isn't it amazing what is on the radio these days? And the kids are singing (unfortunately, my son included!).

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

Amazon.com has some good karaoke CDs. I think some cable companies even have a karaoke on demand channel! This seems like a fun idea, and I wish I could get away with it teaching high school!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

I can't resist jumping in: MissCeliaB, would it be possible to use karaoke with (clean) raps in a poetry unit for oral language expression?

14. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

When I taught Spanish I used music all the time to help with fluency. I think it is a great tool. I think that is another reason ipods are being used more in education as well. ELL kids are encouraged to take home their ipods and sing along to the songs their teachers have chosen. If we had more ELL kids I would use this approach for sure. It really helped me with my pronunciation in Spanish and in Russian.
    That being said, i am not sure how your neighbor teacher will like it. :) Sadly some people sing really off key on those machines.

15. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

What a fantastic idea!! Does anyone know if there is research to back this idea up? (I only ask because such an innovative idea at my school will get questioned if I can't back it up)

16. Ms.Katie

Ms.Katie Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Buy the Kids Bop CD's....that should work for many grade levels. They are all the popular and current songs, but they are just sung by kids. I am sure students of any age would love doing this, and in the mean time, it would help detect fluency and word recognition for the future!

I love the idea! Once I get my room established and find out my case load, I may tweak the idea a bit.

Hope you don't mind!!

Good luck implementing it, and keep me informed on how it goes, I am interested to know.
    :)

17. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

Kids Bop doesn't have a Karaoke function though... Best Buy is the only store that I can find karaoke CDs at anymore. They have the typical Disney stuff (Hannah Montana, High School Musical) and all those NOW compilations. I use that stuff with my 5th graders but certain songs are off-limits (any and all Snoop Dogg, for example). With Rock Band, they actually know a lot of 80s stuff now, so I have several of those CDs too... and don't forget Shrek features a lot of older songs that they're familiar with!

BTW, I do karaoke during the day on Fridays only... my teammate is aware of it, and usually heads out to recess on those days. Some years I've done it as an after-school activity where students have to sign up. Even if I turn down the volume, it gets LOUD when everyone sings along (which I encourage, of course). Make sure you establish some rules, such as respecting other people's singing and the courage it takes to do that in front of the whole class. We make it clear that disrespect is not tolerated at ALL during karaoke, and they become very supportive of one another.

18. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

kidz bop doesn't necessarily have appropriate songs IMO. But like the pp said, it doesn't have the karaoke function anyway.

19. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 11, 2009

How do you implement this? Would you do it whole class? Could you have volume control and do it as a center. I love this idea, I'm just not sure how to manage it.

20. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

iTunes

Just an idea, but you might be able to do it in the same way as you would a podcast. iTunes has karaoke songs that you can download--just plug the microphone into the computer and have it as a center.

21. SHF4EL

SHF4EL Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Another way you can do this is use lyrics sheets. So if you cannot find the CD +G or a karaoke download of the song you want to use, you can just use the audio, with the mic, and the lyric sheet. This is the method I use most often because a lot of the songs can't be used in the classroom or they are not in karaoke format.

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I get karaoke songs off iTunes from time to time.