Kagan

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by beachteach, Jun 19, 2007.

1. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Do you use Kagan in your classroom or school? I love Kagan and I am going to Orlando this summer to become a school trainer. If you use it what do you think of Kagan?
    Jen

3. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Is this the cooperative group Spencer Kagan?

4. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Yes it is.

5. KDS

KDS Companion

Jun 19, 2007

LOVE Kagan!!!

Some of the trainers we had directly from Kagan were FANTASTIC!!!!!

it might be a hard sell to some teachers...they might think it is too game/play time...that it is too cutesy etc...but all i can say is, for the most part, it works...i dont know why it works, but it does...

do i like all of the structures/activities? NOPE!!! But do i find the ones that suit me??? Do they adapt to multiple personalities? Do they adapt to multiple classes/subjects? Do the kids complain less?

you bet your sweet bippy it works!

:p

6. caspez2528

caspez2528 New Member

Jun 19, 2007

We've been a Kagan school for 2 years. The majority of our teachers have gone to a summer workshop each summer. Cooperative Learning, Win, Win, Discipline, and next week Multiple Intelligence. I teach 5th grade and Kagan structures have helped me tremendously in creating a better atmosphere in my classroom. The classbuilders help the students to get to know each other and realize they are very similar in many ways. It creates new friendships and increases tolerance among them. The team builders help create trust and understanding within the small groups. To answer your question in two words..........LOVE IT!!

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 20, 2007

For those who say it is to cutsey-ish, they should see our 8th graders Quiz Quiz Trade. :) I teach sixth grade, but I love the Kagan Structures. What is your favorite structure to use? I like Numbered Heads Together and Mix Pair Share.

8. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I just attended a cooperative learning week long conference and I loved it! I teach 2nd grade and can not wait to use the structures we learned. Might be hard to sell to the other teachers but who wouldn't want a better managed class that got along?

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

I've never been to a workshop but I would love to! I know some of the structures but I'm not very confident in them. Last year we did do Numbered Heads Together. Next year I want to try Inside Outside Circle and some other ones. (I can't think right now)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2007

Would someone kindly summarize the Kagan philosophy?

11. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Kagan is cooperative learning. Students working in teams or pairs most of the time. It is not group work because each child has a role and responabilty. http://kaganonline.com/

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks!

13. Cathy

Cathy Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I am going to try Kagan w/ my high school students. I know many think that the structures are for the primary grades, but I'm willing to try. They really need to learn tolerance of others.
    Regarding your class building structures, I wanted to use 'find someone who', 'two facts,one fiction' and ??? have you used these before? If so,any recommendations or things to avoid? Do you do class builders every week (i've read that is recommended??? I'm not for sure on this). What about team builders? What ones are your favorites? Thanks!

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

I bought a book from Kagan Publishing last year. It's called Asking Higher Level Thinking Questions in Mathematics. I LOVE it. It's perfect for group work.

15. Cathy

Cathy Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I have their Cooperative Learning book as well as the win-win discipline book. Their science on is good, too. What grade level of questions is the book meant for?

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2007

I have a couple of the books, too, but didn't know it was a philosophy or complete method.

17. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

Mine is for grades 3-6, but they also them for 7-12th grade.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.kaganonline.com/Catalog/index.html