Kagan Workshops-has anyone gone to one?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 3, 2013

Hey, guys!

I'm asking my district office for some PD money for our 5th grade team, and I've always wanted to do a Kagan workshop in Orlando.

Just about every topic would be amazing, but we're looking most seriously at the cooperative learning and the multiple intelligence ones. Has anyone ever attended either of these? Or other workshops with them? Thoughts?

This is a lofty request, I realize, but our district just got 300k in Common Core dollars, and they are burning through it. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask for some, especially if it's PD..... ;)

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Oct 3, 2013

I had a two day workshop about ten years ago, and I still use the techniques I learned. Well worth it in my opinion.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2013

Yes, a cooperative learning workshop. Good stuff...but a lot of forced participation which I hate. ;)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 3, 2013

Thanks, guys! I'm not one for a lot of participation, either-I like to sit back and brainstorm/dream while listening.

I decided to go with cooperative learning, as they appear to have a system in place. Multiple Intellegences looks to be the second class in the strand. I just sent my proposal in, so now I just cross my fingers and wait. We're a tiny district and I spent a good hour of my afternoon chatting with the curriculum director (the one with the key to bank vault for this), and when I mentioned Kagan, she went crazy. But unfortunately, she knows several 'leaders' in the area. I tried to make a case for GOING to the workshop as a team-bonding, time away from the norm so we can work together, the passion of being off-site with other educators-the last thing I want to do is spend a week of my summer sitting in an office here in the district listening to someone tell me about this.

I want to do that at Disney. ;)

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 3, 2013

I went to college in Florida, and an alum of my college paid for all of the seniors each year to go to the two-day local training at one of the national Kagan training schools. It was so beneficial, and one of the most valuable experiences I had during college, though we had the training built into our college degree. One of our courses was taught by different teachers at the training school who came and taught us the principles behind it and how to use all of the structures. It was still inspiring to go to that workshop and see it all come together in real classrooms.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 3, 2013

I have been to both-through school-and think cooperative learning is a great choice. You'll get some good information, but some of it I did many years ago as cooperative learning. Repackaged!! Hopefully you'll get to Orlando...great place for a conference!!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 3, 2013

I went to one years ago.

I learned that the DWOK (Different Ways of Knowing) research project we'd been part of for a few years stole a lot of their stuff!

I like their stuff, although in hated the workshop because I had to participate in everything. Ugh.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 3, 2013

I loved our school's Kagan training! We all still use it.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 3, 2013

I've been through the 4-day training... twice! I love it all, but find it difficult to use with some groups of students. Parts of it work well with some kids, and other parts with different sets of kiddos. I would love to have a group with whom I could use any Kagan structure I wished (and all of the Whole Brain Teaching strategies, too!)

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 3, 2013

I went to a two day cooperative learning workshop here in Southern CA this past spring. It was AMAZING! I had to pay (but it was a subsidized "SoCal gift" at only $50 for both days), but it was worth every penny.

I totally understand wanting to go to Orlando (Disney World is my favorite place), but if you can't do that and are still given the opportunity to do a California training, I would take it. Maybe SoCal? DisneyLAND... ;)

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2013

Yes, overall I got a lot out of it. It has helped my teaching a lot. I highly recommend it.