Kagan techniques

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ChristyF, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2008

I just finished a one day training in the Kagan Cooperative Learning techniques and I am really excited about using them in my room. Does anyone out there have any experience with using them? Any tips or suggestions to pass along? (http://www.kaganonline.com/ is the website for anyone who isn't familiar with the program)

3. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I've used them a little bit...I have the cards from my teacher certificaton program. I do need to go over them again. If I was a classroom teacher I'd probably use them more.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

I am so jealous! I love Kagan and wish I could go to a conference. I have a lot of books and whenever I do anything "Kagan" related my kids love it. Very cooperative learning based

5. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Does anyone have the smartcard toolbox? Does it come with all of the smartcards? How often do you use them? I want to know more about them but you can't click on any online to see them up close:)

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

Mine was just a one day training. It was more about the grouping and some of the structures to use (round robin, etc). It was awesome and I would love to get more of the training.

7. Joji

Joji Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I took the week training last summer and loved it- I don't have enough kids at the same time to do the team games but I have use the learning chips for team building (social skills) and as icebreakers- kids love them. I used Mozart Creativity CD to play while the kids are "thinking of stories". I also have used goofy games book as a "brain break" and we really enjoy those. The kids also love fan n pick and other sharing strategies that are in the binder as well. GOOD luck and have fun with it!!!!

8. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 15, 2008

A friend of mine gave me a set of the learning chips and explained to me the entire process. I about fainted! I thought that was the coolest process for cooperative learning. And I told myself that THIS school year, I won't over PD myself!!!!

9. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I've done the week long training, and 3 years of "monthly maintenance" with my district. I have almost all of the books. My favorite are the Multiple Intelligence books, and Balanced Literacy for both 3rd and 5th grades. Awesome! Our district offers the books as door prizes for the monthly Kagan meetings. Cool!

10. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 16, 2008

Why do I always hear about districts offering - for lack of better words - way better PD than mine? I either have to find one and convince my principal to send me, or use my own money. Our PD is the same old college methods courses presentations!

11. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I was trained in Kagan years ago...we then had a User's Group for two years at out Intermediate Unit. I love the structures and so do the kids. I am not "whole hog" into all of the cooperative learning stuff, but love a lot of the management and the structures for review and practice. I highly recomment Kagan!

12. Rainmaker

Rainmaker New Member

Aug 5, 2012

Thank you, Christy for the Kagan link!

I really appreciate it.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2012

I need to buy a book suitable for high school science.

Any recommendations?

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I have. It takes a lot of work, but with enthusiasm the kids will eat it up! :)

15. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

I'm such a Kagan groupie! Once you've used a structure a few times, adding it to lessons becomes second nature (for the most part, some structures are a bit more complicated).

I start the year with fairly simple structures, such as Round Robin/Table, Rally Robin/Table, and Timed Pair Share. I also do Classmate BINGO as a getting to know you activity. Then I gradually add structures throughout the year. Quiz-Quiz-Trade is my favorite structure for reviewing concepts.

After I went to my first training, one of my colleagues and I became Kagan buddies. We'd periodically check in to see what structures we'd been using. For me, it was a great way to hold myself accountable. On too many occasions I've had grand plans to incorporate things from trainings, only to forget about them later. :(

I always love hearing about other people who use Kagan! :D