Ka or Mystere...& Other Vegas Shows?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 8, 2012

Yes, I'm asking if you could see only one Cirque show, which one of these is better? I'm looking for grand magnificance here. I heard O is good, but may get a little boring after a while of seeing so much swimming/synchronized swimming type stuff. I'm planning my Vegas Christmas trip & I want my $180/person spent on something really good. Also what other types of Vegas shows are good?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2012

Zumanity, Blue Man Group, Penn & Teller

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 8, 2012

:p I loved Ka but I haven't seen the other Cirque shows so my opinion is useless.

The Phantom was good.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2012

I loved Mystere! I'll be in Vegas next week for the NCTE convention, but I don't think we'll be going to any shows.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 9, 2012

I would see Penn and Teller, though to be honest, Vegas just isn't my thing. It's not really on my list of places I want to visit. I've seen Blue Man Group several times. My hubby loves P&T, so we may go out sometime just to see them. We've watched all of their shows on TV, and enjoy them, and admire both of them as people.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2012

Thanks guys! Penn & Teller & Blue Man Grp isn't my thing. I like more musical/theatrical-type shows. I've checked out Ticketmaster & there isn't anything else really other than the Cirque shows that sparked my interest. In the past, I've seen a pro tennis match & David Copperfield show, which were good.

I don't gamble, smoke, or drink, but I like Vegas. I've been once as a child & 2x as an adult, but pretty much stayed on the strip every time. This time, I want to venture off the strip a lot more.

I started a thread on another board & most people liked Mystere the best. I'm also on the hunt for the best buffets. Many seemed to love the Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan Hotel.

Any other ideas for buffets, etc?

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2012

Locals think that the buffet at the Rio is the best in town.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2012

My mom and her husband are going to Vegas and instead of seeing a show they're going to rent a convertible and cruise around the desert and Hoover dam. Could that be an option?

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2012

I went about a year and half ago and saw Phantom of the Opera, Menopause the Musical, Celine Dion and Price Is Right Live. I thought they all were great. If you like Breakfast Buffets, the breakfast buffet in Paris is amazing!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2012

Phantom of the Opera isn't showing anymore.

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2012

That's too bad...it was such a cool show!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2012

I had breakfast buffet at the Rio the last time I went to Vegas in around 2005.

We'll rent a car & plan to drive off the strip...don't know where yet, but I'll look into it. I found out there is a Las Vegas Zoo. Who would have thought! Also a natural history museum.

I'll make a n ote about the Paris breakfast buffet, thanks! Celine Dion is THE ONLY singer I'd actually see. I don't care that much for any other singer.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 9, 2012

Buffets are an old "to do" thing in Vegas. With food quality that has become so good, it's sily to waste your time at a buffet. The question is finding the best place at the best price. For that, downtown is the best place to go. Everything on the Strip is OVERPRICED.

15. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Nov 9, 2012

I saw KA this summer & it was amazing! I haven't seen any other Cirque shows though.

16. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 10, 2012

If you don't mind the sexuality aspect.. Zumanity is, in my opinion, the best of the cirque shows in vegas. I didn't care for Mystere at all, but I enjoyed Ka.

I also enjoyed Love.

17. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 10, 2012

Personally I would not recommend the zoo. It isn't like zoos in other cities that you'd be used to. It's actually a little sad (not a nice life for the animals).

I like KA the best for a Cirque show but they're all great so you really can't go wrong. Actually my new favorite show is Absinthe but it definitely isn't for everyone. It doesn't have the "wow" factor that other shows have. It is just hilarious mixed with some amazing acts and feats. Then again the humor is quite "naughty" which is why I say it isn't for everyone.

If you are really looking to venture off the strip there is an amazing brunch buffet at The M. But it is quite a ways off the strip.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, don't go to the zoo. You might enjoy the Springs Preserve, though.

19. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Nov 10, 2012

The zoo does not have a good reputation. The springs preserve is great. Red Rock Canyon and Mount Charleston are great nature areas too. The Clark County Museum is out in neighboring Henderson, and it's pretty cool.

I've eaten at the buffet at Mandalay Bay several times, and I thought it was very good.

I really enjoyed the Beatles Love Cirque show. I haven't seen very many Cirque shows, but from what I hear, it's not "typical" Cirque style, but I really liked it.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2012

I keep looking at the snippet video clips to see which one I'll like better (Ka or Mystere). Ka seems more different from the usual Cirque-type things that they do & I want something different since it' not like I'll be in Vegas every other month. I'll be staying at the same hotel that Ka is showing, so that's good.

Oh yes, I wasn't going to waste my valuable time at the zoo. I read the pitiful reviews of it on Yelp. Lately, I haven't even been in the mood to go to my own nearest zoo in L.A.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2012

Oh, what a horrible zoo. I've read a lot about it. Sad. :(

22. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 11, 2012

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2013

UPDATE

I just had to say that KA was excellent, I loved it! I sat in the 7th row & although you do have to look up a bit, those were great seats. This show didn't have an intermission, which was good for a change. I liked that there was a storyline to this one and there were some unique acrobatics, unlike the usual Cirque ones.