K to 2nd to 4th?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Junebug, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

Well, when I went to the beginning of the year work day Monday I learned I was teaching 2nd. A little shocked but I knew there was a chance I wasn't going to be in K. Got my students Wednesday, thought this is okay I can do this :)., 16 girls and 5 boys! Things were going great! Friday at 2:15, someone comes in and informs me to get my students stuff together because they are going to move to another room (a former 1st) and I was going to get 25 4th graders :eek: Kids cried, swap happened at 2:30, put kids on bus at 2:45. What the **** am I supposed to do with them on Monday?? I just thought I was panicked before.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

Wow! How is that even possible! Where did these mysterious 4th graders come from?

Well, I guess you kind of start the year over...

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

Yikes! This doesn't sound like what is best for kids...

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

wowza.....have parents complained? Because the parent in me sure would have!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2010

I'd have been at the school in no time flat if my second grader came home telling me that happened.

WHAT were they thinking?!?!?!?!?!

I have no advise for you, but I just wanted to say you have my sympathy. This isn't good for anybody involved!

7. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

Wow, I thought things like that only happened in my district. So sorry this happened to you. It happened to me. I was teaching 2nd grade. My father passed away so I took about 1 week off during the first few weeks of school. When I came back I was told I was going to 5th. It was not one of my best years.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

This type of situation is not atypical. It happens each and every year in my district. In fact, it happened to TWO close friends of mine this year. One was moved from 5th down to Kinder and the other was moved from 1st down to Kinder. What's worse is that they were not just moved to different grade levels, but they were also moved to different SCHOOLS! I spent last weekend helping both of them and they were stressed to the max!

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

WOW! It seems so brutal! 4th grade won't be so bad! It is just the manner in which you were told. Yikes! Hang in there!

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2010

At my school, they had someone move from 5th to Kinder. It was a huge deal because they told him midway through the summer and not before school got out.

I've never heard of someone being made to switch grades after school had started or even when the teachers come back.

In other words, what you describe is not normal and should not happen if administrators are competent and know how to do their jobs.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2010

In other words, if this is happening in your district, someone needs to take your admins and kick them in the rear end until their head comes out.

Over the summer, their ONE JOB should be to plan the school year and to prevent that from happening. Any school or district admin that allows what happened to Junebug to happen should be summarily FIRED FOR INCOMPETENCE.

12. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Oh my! I can't believe they didn't even tell you first. This happened to me my first year teaching. I was told three days before school started that I would be teaching 4th grade (they were waiting for registration numbers to come in, so I totally understand the short notice). However, two weeks into teaching my 4th graders, at 6:00 at night when I was working in my classroom, I was called to the principal's office to be told that I would now be teaching kindergarten due to enrollment numbers! Whew!

Regardless, they still told me the day before my students were told, and my principal came and told my students and a note was sent home for the parents. I cannot believe you were not even informed before the move happened. Unfortuntately I can understand having to move you again due to numbers changing or something like that, but just to inform you right in front of the kids? This is ridiculous!

13. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

This stuff happens in my district all the time. Teachers are moved around until the first week in October. They not only get grade changes, they get building changes too. I think it is because we are such a large district. If your school has low numbers, you will almost always lose a teacher. If your numbers are high, you may gain a teacher if your building has an empty room. It goes strictly by system senority, newest to the building gets the boot. Kindergarten is the only exception. If a K teacher has to leave the building (due to #'s) they have to put in you in another K position. This is one of the reasons I stay in K. I have always thought that is such a bad practice. They students and teachers bond and then they are separtated. How is this good for anyone?

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2010

How much of this is the result of "bumping rights?"

In my district, as far as I know, if my first grade job goes away due to low enrollment, I can only move into an open position for which I am credentialed. If no such position exists, I can bump another teacher, but I think it has to be the lowest seniority position in the district. I don't get my pick of grade level.

I definitely can't pick and choose among the less senior teachers at my school or even in the district. I have to take what is available within my credential.

It also explicitly states in our contract that principals have the final say as to who teaches what at their school sites as long as credential requirements are met. So let's say that the first grade numbers got really low and they had to get rid of one of our classes. I have credentials to teach middle school language arts and social studies as well as elementary. Since we are a K-8 school, if there was an open 6-7-8 position teaching English or history, I can guarantee that my class would be the one that they collapsed and I would be moved to the middle school side of the campus. And the main reason for doing this would be to save the jobs of teachers far less senior than me.

I have seniority over 80% of the teachers in my district, but there would be nothing I could do about it. I'm also quite fine with this.

15. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

I have been off line for a few days (too busy). It is a shame that schools can move you around as they please, regardless of what you or your feelings. The larger districts I think are worse about this. Students needs are often overlooked. In my situation, the P was hoping that I would leave. What happened was there were too many 1st grade teachers and not enough 4th, but instead of moving the students from the 1st grade teacher and giving her the 4th grade, the P took my 2nd g., moved them to the 1st g. and moved the 4th to me. I really should not have been involved at all. But that is the way it happened and I will just make the best of it. The only thing that is difficult, is the math, 4th is way diff from K!