K teacher possibly going to 1/2 combo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by minnie, Oct 19, 2016.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 19, 2016

I've posted this a couple of years ago but I am wanting a new batch of opinions.

Our 1/2 combo teacher is retiring this year. She is absolutely AMAZING. I teach kinder. Have been for 10 years. I love it. My super asked if I'd like to take her place. Ummmmm. Lots of pros and cons. I'd have two grade levels and I'd have VERY big shoes to fill. I'm afraid my super will think I'm not up for the challenge if I decline. But I'm afraid if I go, I'll regret it and it'll be too late. What would you do??

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 19, 2016

Are you in a small school, then? Do you think you'd enjoy have the same students three years in a row (K this year, then 1 & 2)?

I've heard split classes are hard. If you're up for the challenge, it could be new and exciting for you. But, if you're happy, why make the switch?

4. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 19, 2016

Yes I'm in a very small K-8 country school. I've taught kinder there for 10 years. Of course, a little bit of me thinks it would be exciting to do something new and to get students who can already write their name and line up or hold a pencil correctly. But what if I'm not good at it? First and second are important grades when it comes to building reading skills.

Yes I am happy. I'm thinking about the switch mainly because I don't want my super to think that I'm not up to new and challenging things. I'm afraid it will make me look like someone who just settles.

5. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 20, 2016

If you decide not to take the 1/2, you could always say something like, "I really appreciate the offer. I've given it a lot of thought, and I really enjoy where I am right now and would prefer to stay."

I don't think your super would think you weren't up to the challenge if you decided not to make the switch! The fact that you were asked means he/she thinks you are a good, strong teacher, but kindergarten needs good teachers too and I am sure they know that! There is a kindergarten teacher at my school who has taught that grade only for 23 years. She is very highly respected and I know she has been asked if she would like to switch grade levels multiple times. Staying where she is has not hurt her reputation one bit!

otterpop likes this.
  6. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 20, 2016

Doing this will not be easy. I also am doing a combo. I have 20 students, 17 first graders and 3 "ahead of their class" kindergartners. They did this because the mothers wanted me to teach their kids. The principal gave me a list of 82 first graders and 16 kindergarten students that I could choose from.
    It is not easy but I love it. The first graders love the younger ones and treat them so nicely, while the kindergartner's are sweet little buttons who love to remind the 1st graders of the classroom rules.
    When you teach a combo, you have to know how to teach the class, where to seat the kids, and how to keep the peace in the class.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 20, 2016

Under these circumstances, I'd teach a combo class.

8. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 20, 2016

Yeah, I am pretty lucky. I am happy that I got to choose the children, and they are truly sweethearts. The kindergartners are going to be doing into 2nd grade next year. I found that they are doing amazing with the 1st grade curriculum. I got the principal to give them assessments, and they did extremely well. If they struggle with anything ( sometimes only math or reading ), the mothers who love the idea of them going into 2nd grade are willing to let me tutor them after school.
    They like tutoring because I make it fun. When I have them learning math, they get to jump and run around to music in the background. All of their parents are so helpful with that.

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  9. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 20, 2016

Wow, Mr. Mike! How nice that you got to pick your own class!

Thank you all for your replies. I just don't want to regret my decision. I'm still going to really pray and think about this.