K Reading in the afternoon: can it work?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mandijyn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 27, 2012

Hello,

Our P has rearranged our fullday K schedule so that our reading block is in the afternoon- 12:15 - 2:50 on paper. (Our dismissal is at 2:50 - we are packing up and out the door long before this) It has only been a week, and I know my little ones are still adjusting, but I can barely keep their eyes open, let alone get a quality reading lesson in. I am hearing the same concerns from the other 5 members of our well seasoned team, and I am either looking for advice on how to make it work, or reseach based evidence in support of our old schedule of literacy in the morning- :help:

Thanks,
    Mandy

3. christine89

christine89 Companion

Aug 28, 2012

Is there a way you can get it changed? Do you have a block of time in the morning that would work better? It may be a good idea to bring the issue up to your P and see if it could be changed. Reading, especially in K, is becoming more rigorous all the time so you want their attention at the best possible time of day!

4. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 30, 2012

Our district shuffled administrators around last year and we have unfortunately inherited the bottom of the barrel. She is uncompromising and unwilling to take the advice of teachers who have been with the school for 15 years. She rolled in and made drastic changes to systems that had been working well and created chaos in our lives. 20% of our staff transfered to new schools this year.... so the short and long - no - our school decisions are only made by the self proclaimed "queen". We would like to go beyond her authority- but not without being well armed with research based evidence that what she is asking us to do is far from the best interest of the students.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

Can you incorporate more movement to get those brains to wake up? Like do a part of the whole group lesson and get up and do a song/dance to learn letters, etc. Then back down for another part.

I agree that change definitely didn't come from someone who understands early childhood kiddos.

6. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 30, 2012

I think that I will keep trying to get them moving- and hope that as they build stamina they will tolerate the schedule better- I saw a quote that I loved today "Improvise, adapt, overcome" and I am trying to make this my attitude towards life!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

Wow! My kinders take a nap. They all are asleep within minutes of laying down. For some of them it is so hard to get them moving again. But. . . 2 days a week I only have a TA in the afternoon. So, I'm hoping to do my reading in the p.m. on those days. We'll see.

8. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 31, 2012

Alas no TA, no naps allowed, .. we were even scolded for letting them lay down with music and a book while we tried to get lengthy mandatory state F.A.I.R. assessments completed. We are dealing with someone with zero early childhood experience. She prickles upon walking into our rooms. But- what can we do?
    Smile and teach on...

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2012

I don't know if you can make it work for you. It just reminds me of a comment from my tutoring student's mom. When asked if she would prefer I come after dinner, around 7pm, instead of 4:30, she said, "Oh no; you'd kill yourself."

10. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

For some reason my Kinders have a lot of energy right after lunch! Maybe you could do it at the beginning of the afternoon when they've come in from lunch recess?