K or 1st Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bridget, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

I got called today from a very prestigious private school which I completely forgot about. I sent my resume back in March and completely forgot about it. They emailed me today wanting to set up an interview. Right now they are just saying it's a Lower School position, since teachers might move around. However, I checked the website and their Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers are retiring, so I'm confident it's those grades...or maybe 2nd if some teachers do move around...
    I'm nervous about K and 1st!!! I'm a 3rd grade teacher! What are some questions they might ask if it is for K and 1st?? Any help would be appreciated.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Classroom mgt
    Building classroom climate
    Parent communication
    Describe to me what your classroom would look like?
    What would you do on the first day of school?
    Describe your reading program, how would you teach reading?
    How would you encourage parental involvement?
    What would you do if a child _______
    What would you do if a parent ________
    How would you use/work with your grade level partners?

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I prefer second and third and when I went on an interview for K they asked me what my favorite K book was and why. I was upset that I didn't have a great answer, I could of nailed it with second or third. So, you may want to prepare for that.

5. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

Classroom management and reading would probably be the biggies! Phonemic awareness, invented spelling...

For K and 1st you just have to do a lot more modeling than you do in 3rd to make them do what you want. They are fun and the explosion of learning is so much more obvious than the upper grades.

GL!

6. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I've interviewed for first grade and all the questions that were posted above are RIGHT ON.

By the way..I originlaly taught 3rd grade, moved down to 2nd, taught 1st the third year and now i'm looking for FIRST ALL THE WAY...I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE first graders. They're the best :)

The questions are similar for primary and 3rd grade- but I agree with Melissa- definitely a lot more MODELING in the lower levels.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

Best of luck. You seem to have some good experiences. You should be a shoe in. I would hire you. :)