K Literacy Lesson in January

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Maithal, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 25, 2006

Hi Everyone!
    As you may know, I have to teach a literacy lesson the first week of January for a LST position in K that I'm up for.

I'm wondering, what are some things you are doing in your classroom in January in literacy (reading and writing).

I was thinking of doing...

A.) Reading comprehension - reading a story and having students draw their favorite part of the story or what they think will happen next and then have them write a sentence or 2 about their picture.

or...

B.) Letter-sound matching - using a pocket chart and picture cards match each picture to the beginning consonant and put the ABCs in order (whole group).

or...
    C.) Phonics lesson - not sure of specifics but I do have an big ABC chart with songs/poems for each letter of the alphabet that I could use (it comes with a tape).

I know I created a previous post on this, but does anyone have any specific ideas on what I can do? I can't seem to narrow my ideas. I'm getting quite nervous thinking about what to do as I want this to run smoothly.
    Thanks so much for any and all advice.

3. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 25, 2006

How about this lesson....

This is one litearcy lesson idea I thought of that I really like. I did this in beg. of year w/first graders I work with now (I'm TA).

I'll read the story "To Market, To Market" (similar to the song). While reading, I'll incorporate modeling and having students make predictions, guesses, connections, and wondering (comprehension strategies)-not sure which ones I'll focus on.

Then I'll wear some funny props so they'll learn about describing words by describing me. I'll create a list of their describing words. Afterwards, I'll tell students that they will create a class book like the story "To Market to Market" where they choose an animal and describing word to describe it. I'll first model this on chart paper based on what they say(list describing word on one side and animal on other). For example, their page of the book is this...

"To market, to market to buy a _____ ______.
    Home again, home again,
    Jiggety jig."
    (in first blank they write describing word and in second blank they write animal)

They'll draw a picture to illustrate what they wrote.

At the end I'll put their pages together to create a book.

Hope this makes sense.
    Let me know what you think or if you have other ideas. Thanks! :)