K-9 Unit Working Overtime

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 9, 2008.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 9, 2008

Speaking of how teachers doing good things never get in the news...our district has had several school employees arrested for drug possession on a school campus. So guess what, they are calling in a K-9 Unit to search every parking lot of every campus (we have like 300 schools in our district). They said the dogs can sense any alcohol, drugs, even prescription medication. One teacher had a prescription in his car but it was his wife's and not in his name, so now he's suspended. My friend took her blood pressure medication out of her vehicle because it was in one of those Monday, Tuesday, etc. containers-not the labeled bottle.

Is this a little extreme? I mean I understand having drugs on a school campus is a felony and certainly teachers should not be impaired while teaching but is this really a proper use of police resources? I even took out the bag of dog food I had in the trunk, just in case - I know they are well-trained animals, but one might be hungry. It would be so embarassing to be called out to have to open your car for a search-especially because I am so not the type, the school would be buzzing. I don't know - just thought I'd share and see what y'all thought.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 9, 2008

It does seem like another case of zero tolerance, zero common sense. I hope the teacher with the wife's prescription has contacted the union. Heads should roll over that one and he should be compensated for more than just missed pay.

4. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Dec 9, 2008

Yeah, a family member's prescription in the family car hardly sounds like a federal case.

5. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 9, 2008

"One teacher had a prescription in his car but it was his wife's and not in his name, so now he's suspended. My friend took her blood pressure medication out of her vehicle because it was in one of those Monday, Tuesday, etc. containers-not the labeled bottle."

And this is the point at which a serious problem turns into a farce. Well done, cops.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2008

Would it be the city in Texas that has been laying off bunches of teachers? If so those managers just didn't know where to use the money they saved.