K-2 SDC Homework help

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ST1300, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ST1300

ST1300 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

Hello, this is my 4th year teaching sped. I have 14 students. The first year, only several of my students were given homework.
    The last two years I have been giving homework to all students, since it seems to be expected. My problem is that it takes me way too long to do this! I am putting in a ridiculous amount of time after school as it is. I have to figure out an easier, less time consuming way of giving homework, especially to the students who are more like pre-schoolers. I am thinking of a page that I copy and circle different activities, or something. Tracing names and numbers are fine, but collecting different things for everyone is making me crazy. I like hands on ideas like making patterns out of household items, looking for shapes, etc, but once again this all takes a lot of time to think about, write down, copy etc. etc. I would love some ideas on what others do. Thank you!!

3. btteach

btteach Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

ST1300, you could try Adapted Worksheets

I bought a month's subscription to this resource (just google "Adapted Worksheets") and it has a ton of resources and worksheet generators that span the developmental continuum. It does cost about $10 per month, but I thought in two months, I could download and create enough worksheets across subjects (language arts, math, social studies, science, etc.) to more than get my money's worth. They are all in PDF form, so I just save them to folders I've created on my desktop for my kiddos, and print them when I need them. It looks like there is enough material at this one site to give you resources until Christmas, at least! Let me know if this helps! (I understand how trying to collect different worksheets and tasks can make you crazy! It is so time consuming. :crosseyed)

4. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 13, 2010

Could you just print out a monthly calendar page and write or type something "hands on" in each box? You could pull up your curriculum/school themes/gen ed curriculum or whatever and use that as a guide to filling in the boxes. For example - if kindergarten letter of the week for a week is letter "a" - one day could be - make a list of all the foods you can think of that start with A. One day could be write the name of everyone in yoru family - count how many letter A's. One day could be rainbow trace a letter A, etc. Then you copy the calendar and voila - whole month of homework done.

5. ST1300

ST1300 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

I took a look at this site. It looks very useful - thank you!

6. ST1300

ST1300 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

I appreciate the ideas! The fact of the matter is, and we all are probably in the same boat, differentiating homework takes time no matter what. I came up with a kind of cool cover page with stuff on it that I can circle for my lowest pre-school type group, and the rest I am doing the same as I have done for the past couple of years. A packet for the week that I can make quick notes on the front. Thanks for the suggestions!