K-2 Phonics Program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by booksrfun, Jun 21, 2016.

1. booksrfun

booksrfun Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Does anyone have any suggestions for a K-2 scripted phonics program that has student workbooks? Saxon Phonics and Spelling K-3 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Explode the Code may be possibilities, but I am not familiar with these programs.
    Thanks

3. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 21, 2016

We used to use VoWac, but to tell you the truth, I didn't much care for it. Now we use a program of templates that go along with our Treasures reading series. I am not really a fan of student workbooks in reading, but Treasures does have phonics worksheets to go along with the units as well.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2016

We use Fundations. Out of all of the programs/resources/curriculums we've tried over the years, this is literally the only one that everyone seems to like. It is a tier 2 intervention program, but I work in a very low SES school where 90% of kids come in not school-ready and the majority continue to fall further behind as they get older. It makes sense for us to use the program for whole class phonics instruction. It wouldn't make sense for wealthier schools that only have a small percentage of students needing intervention, IMO. It's also not a comprehensive reading program- just phonics.

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 22, 2016

We use Fundations for our phonics program. It's a great comprehensive phonics program for the whole class. It replaces the phonics portion from our reading program, which was not very strong.

6. booksrfun

booksrfun Rookie

Jun 30, 2016

Did your teachers receive training for Fundations. If so, how long did the training take?

7. booksrfun

booksrfun Rookie

Jun 30, 2016

member: 66967"]We use Fundations for our phonics program. It's a great comprehensive phonics program for the whole class. It replaces the phonics portion from our reading program, which was not very strong.[/QUOTE]
    Who provided the training for Fundations and is it a costly program to purchase? Thank you!

8. booksrfun

booksrfun Rookie

Jun 30, 2016

How much training is needed for teachers and is Fundations a costly program to implement?