K-2 mild/mod class

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Ms.C teaches, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Sep 3, 2011

Hi Everyone ~

I start next week as a K-2nd grade SDC teacher (mild/mod). I have 12 kiddos in my class and they range from a few knowing only a couple letters and barely writing their name....to a few kiddos able to know all letters, sounds and writing sentences.

I have looked thru IEP's already and put them in groups approx to their needs. Any adivice on how I juggle a class of 12 kiddos with only myself and one aid?? I don't think I'll be able to do any type of whole group language lessons (which also makes me worry when my principal comes to observe me).:dizzy:

Thank you so much for any help and suggestions :)

3. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I think you could probably do a short whole-group lesson - you could use that time to focus on thematic content, including books and things your students are interested in, but can't yet read independently. I have a k-5 moderate/severe needs ASD classroom (though all but one of my students are k-2) and we do our reading and math parts of the day like this:

15 minutes whole group (usually on the SMARTboard) - focus on exposure to thematic content and vocabulary, reading a story, answering comprehension yes/no questions, etc. If you have most students that can handle a group lesson, you could do group with them and have your aide take the few who can't. For really active, high needs students, I've pasted vocabulary words in pockets on a wall and we jump on the trampoline underneath. We'll tell the student, "find the quarter!" etc. and they have to jump up and slap it. We also have a movement zone outside our door in the hallway where we "exercise" to various alphabet/phonemic activities.

Leveled group rotation: 4 with me, 3 with para (15 minutes)
    Leveled group rotation: 3 with me, 3 with para, one goes to gen ed (15 minutes)

Independent work: all students, supervised by myself and para (15-30 minutes)

Have you heard of Daily 5? If you spend some time at the beginning of the year teaching read to self/read to partner/listening station, you could incorporate that into part of their rotations as independent, leveled reading activities. Obviously, if you have computers in your room, those could be a station as well.

We do basically the same thing for math, as well as our functional skills period.

If you are lucky enough to have a SMARTboard, there are a TON of cool language activities on SMART exchange that you could absolutely adapt to everyone's needs in whole group. If not, I'd suggest focusing on high interest books/thematic activities for k-2.

Good luck!

4. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

Thank you for your suggestions!! I really wish I had a smartboard...I did my student teaching on a smartboard and it's amazing! Since I don't have a smartboard, I will be doing powerpoints.

It will be easy to do circle time and book time as whole groups...the the other stuff, the kiddos will be grouped by their needs.

I do have 3 computers for the kiddos to use and I plan on using those for learning centers as well.

Thanks for your suggestions! :)