K-2 Classroom Supply List

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 13, 2011

So today I get a call from the new school I'll be working at next year and she asks me for my school supply list. :eek: This astounds me for two reasons. 1) Neither of the two middle schools I worked at wanted this information, and 2) I'm not in school mode yet. I haven't even started researching my new grade levels to decide what they'll need to bring!

I ended up emailing the previous teacher and asking for her supply list which she gave me - - but it seems like there are some things missing. Besides the usual crayons, markers, pencils, scissors, glue sticks, paper - - I'm trying to think of what else to ask for. If I do Morning Focus, they'll need binders. But that seems a little much to ask of a kindergartener... I guess we would just do calendar math instead of MF. :( I loved morning focus...

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

I asked for a binder to hold their assessment information.

Lots of Kleenex and paper towels and baby wipes. I also love plastic and paper bags, a pencil case, and a set of watercolors with a smock or old T-shirt.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks mopar. I like the idea of a binder for their assessment info! I've got tons of them though... Also a shirt for painting... I think I'll add that one! :D

Since I wrote this, I got a clue and looked at the school website and found all the supply lists from last year, which gave me lots of ideas. So I've got my list now. Here it is:
    • Backpack
    • Tennis Shoes for P.E.
    • Plastic space saver supply box
    • Two boxes of tissue
    • One container Clorox wipes
    • One bottle of hand sanitizer
    • Boys: One box gallon-size zip lock bags
    • Girls: One box sandwich-size zip lock bags
    • Four pencils
    • Two wide-space spiral notebooks
    • One box of washable markers – primary colors
    • One box of 24 crayons
    • One pair of scissors
    • One bottle of glue
    • Four glue sticks
    • Two Dry Erase markers
    • Oversized old t-shirt

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

Only 4 pencils?

Folders or loose leaf paper?

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 13, 2011

I'm going to buy the folders at the Staples sale because I like to color code. And you know what, I wondered about the pencils too. (The previous teacher said "four.") I wondered if they came in a pack like that and maybe that's why. Then I remembered - we had about 3459437 pencils left over at the end of the year last year. If we run out, I have extras!

I did think it was interesting that the kindergarten/1st grade teachers were asking for "YELLOW NO. 2 PENCILS" - - - like they're going to take a scantron test? WHO CARES???

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2011

I would add a few composition books (for journals, etc) unless that's what you intended for your spiral notebooks.

I didn't ask for a binder, instead I asked for folders.

More Pencils
    MORE GLUE STICKS
    Colored Pencils

I would ask if the dry erase markers are being provided by the school or not.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2011

I suspect the reason they did the yellow pencils is because they did community supplies and it cut down from kids fighting over special pencils OR because some of the fancier pencils have been reported to eat up the pencil sharpeners.

9. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2011

Lots of folders, and if it's kindergarten or first, a change of clothes. :lol:

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

Definitely a very good reason!

And it must be nice to have so many pencils left over. I usually buy about 72 extra pencils a year and go through the entire box by the end of the year with students wanting, needing pencils.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

If you find that you really need something, you can always ask for extras on a wish list. I usually put out a wish list at each round of conferences and around the holidays.

12. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

I teach K-5 autism (and all but one of my kids are K-2) and we did morning focus binders! They rocked! We did them in binders and also on the SMARTBoard.

I second the more glue sticks. That's the one thing I always seem to run out of.

other things to think about: paper products (for cooking, birthdays, etc.), clipoard, index cards..............I live in a wintry place, so I always be sure to put a note on the school supply list about hat, gloves, boots, snowpants for the winter, etc.

Congratulations on the k-2 job by the way!!! Exciting!

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 15, 2011

Well usually I'll do a math spiral and a writing spiral. I also used spirals for parent/communication books because we have a tool that cuts them in half which was perfect. But I'll be going from six kids to twelve - so that's a little too much writing each day. Might have to just start making phone calls from time to time. Or emailing!

Regarding the dry erase erasers - - I just cut up an old tshirt and use the squares. They last all year and work great.

Probably should have asked for more glue sticks... One glue stick per quarter. lol Hmm.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

All I know is that in K, I use glue sticks CONSTANTLY. I would say at least several times a week. One glue stick per child per quarter is simply not enough.

15. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 15, 2011

I don't disagree with you, CnG. I guess I asked for four because that's what everyone was asking for - and I felt a little uncomfortable asking them to provide a dozen glue sticks. Don't they come in packages of two? I think four per kiddo will be okay. I also asked for bottled glue. Maybe I'll pick up a few extras at the Staples sale.

16. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

I'm glad you posted this thread!

Our district doesn't have supply lists for under 2nd grade, so Pre-K - 1 are all pretty much on their own!

All I could think of is glue sticks, pencils, crayons, and scissors lmao

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

Zoom, sounds like a good plan. Staples has excellent sales on glue sticks every summer. I don't use much bottled glue but that's only because I seem to have some kind of learning issue with it myself since apparently I can't take care of the caps properly much less teach the kids to take care of them well.

18. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

Zoom, I have to ask because it makes me curious. What are the baggies for that you have specific sizes for each gender?

• Boys: One box gallon-size zip lock bags
    • Girls: One box sandwich-size zip lock bags

I saw it on another school supply list and I just don't know why you need two sizes lol!

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

This brings back memories...

Prior to working in a classroom, I remember my own reaction as a parent with a my first child going into kindergarten. I was absolutely ticked that the school supply list would include a dry erase marker. My view, pre-educator days, was that I pay a good amount of taxes and the schools should provide the supplies that teachers themselves use. Now I know just how much teachers have to pay for out of their own pocket. It still kinda ticks me off, but not on behalf of the teacher. Thus I have no problems with whatever teachers request in their lists. (I might if it was unreasonable, but that has never been the case).

Interesting perspectives. So I get why you wouldn't want to ask for more than others do for certain supplies. :)

Ziplock baggies went to constant use in my classroom. Various sizes are needed. I couldn't at this moment though tell you what I used them for. Lol. I just know I ran out at times.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

My kids use a white board every day, so the white board markers arent for me at all.

We're not allowed to put wipes or kleenex or ziploc bags on our list. We had to ask for a "donations welcomed section". We also aren't allowed to put any teacher specific items either.

21. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 15, 2011

I have never asked for supplies for myself. The dry erase markers are for their boards that they keep in their desk. I only ask for things the students will be using. I do put a wish list full of classroom necessities like Clorox wipes, tissues, and extra paper, but none of that is on their list.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

From the perspective of a long time ago, I wouldn't have known who those markers were for. But alas, that wasn't a bash of any kind. It's just interesting how my own perspective has changed over time.

23. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

YES, I put the dry erase markers on there for the KIDS. Not me. I have a set of white boards and the kids BURN through the markers (mostly because they can't get the lids back on right). Now I wish I would have put that on the list ("for the kids' white boards).

Regarding baggies - - everyone, K-5, was asking for baggies. I have to admit, I don't remember burning through TONS of baggies last year. That's why I added the sandwich size with the gallon size. If we have a few boxes of each, that will be plenty. And they're used for all kinds of things. Manipulatives, take-home-readers, spare clothes, etc.

And regarding wipes/tissues - - not every parent will send them (same with folks that ask for a ream of copy paper). But for those few that do, it's a freakin' life saver.