K-2...and 6th grade. betcha can't guess this one!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by leannwade, Aug 11, 2008.

1. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

At 9:00 am, I have resource reading with 2 kindergarteners, 2 first graders, and 1 second grader. At 9:30, 3 sixth grade bous come to me also. They stay for an hour, but the little ones stay for 2 1/2 hours. I am having a really tough time trying to figure out how to run my classroom during this time. I cannot figure out what to do....with anything. No one can help me at school. I don't know what to do with the K-2s in just 30mins. then when the sixth graders come in, I don't want them doing just busy work. Somebody PLEASE help.

3. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Do you have a paraprofessional?

I would look at work stations. Each student has a folder with specific IEP goal activities to work on when they get to the station.

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2008

Ditto the stations. It will probably be your best bet. I would have specific teacher directed activities w/ younger ones in that 30 mins, maybe even 45 minutes, then send them to work stations for the remaining time so you can do teacher directed activities w/ 6th graders.

5. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I would even try having the 6th graders serve as "pro-tem" teachers. They could listen to the younger kids read a book to them. That would empower them and give them ownership of something and in turn, hopefully, take more pride in the work they are doing. I always try to empower my kids to want to be better.