K/1st SPLIT advice

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherlissa, Aug 3, 2008.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

My student teacher from last year got a job at my school (YEAH) and she is teaching a K/1st split. Can anyone please give me some tips/advice to include on a "First Day/Week of School" advice sheet? She is really worried about the K part of the split and how to handle them. Any tips on procedures, expectations, fun lessons...ANYTHING?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2008

Since she has not had any of the students before she should start out with rules of school. It will be a refresher for the 1st graders but they sometimes need that. A lot of procedures. She will want to make sure the first graders now HER procedures which can vary greatly from a different teacher. I loved my first six weeks of school book my first year. Of course I was teaching a kindergarten to eighth grade so it had to be adapted some.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

Wow, at first I thought you were maybe talking about a friend of mine. She just got hired to teach a k/1st split and it's her first year, also. I think she has 6 kindergarteners and 8 first-graders. I'll have to print this thread out for her when it's all finished. :)

5. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I teach k-1 multi-age and love it. At the beginning of the year I teach routines and procedures just like I did when I taught a stand alone. For the students who were with me last year, it is a review and I can use them as examples. For the new K students and any new 1st grade students they see that the kids from last year have an idea of what is going on and can follow their lead.