K/1st SPLIT advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherlissa, Aug 2, 2008.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

My student teacher from last year got a job at my school (YEAH) and she is teaching a K/1st split. Can anyone please give me some tips/advice to include on a "First Day/Week of School" advice sheet? She is really worried about the K part of the split and how to handle them. Any tips on procedures, expectations, fun lessons...ANYTHING?

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

you are so sweet for doing a "first day/week of school" advice sheet!
    but sorry...i don't have any advice. i would completely dread a k/1 split. i had a 1/2 split last year and i am glad to go back to a straight first!
    my one idea is to pair up your ks and 1s as buddies for the first week and then maybe switch them the following week. that will help create a classroom community because people will be getting to know one another and the 1s will be able to help the ks adjust to school.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I would start with a names unit because even if the first graders know how to write their names, some have forgotten and everyone needs to learn each other's names anyway.
    Activities:
    ~ Put the names (teacher prepared ahead of time) on the word wall, demonstrate/practice finding the right letter to put it under
    ~ Have the student write their name in boxes (one letter in each box) and make a graph of everyone's name in the class to compare length, repeat the activity and graph how many of each letter
    ~Teacher writes each name on sentence strips and cuts apart with wavy lines, place in an envelope with the name on the outside each student will have their own name for 1-2 weeks and then all the names go in a center that the kids can assemble any name they choose
    ~ Give each student a paper with their name printed on it (make a class set on the computer so you can print it out and reuse it :) and have the kids trace their name with at least 5 colors to "rainbow write"
    ~ Take a picture on the first day of school and print/laminate the photos, place in the pocket chart center with names on sentence strips for the kids to match up photo/name
    ~Anything else that has letters can be used to practice names as well - stamps, playdough cookie cutters, magazine letters, stickers, etc...
    ~ Make a class ABC book with names (add favorite characters names as well).

Books:
    Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (a favorite)
    Andy: That's My Name by Tomie De Paola
    Yoko Writes Her Name by Rosemary Wells
    My Name Is Yoon by Helen Recorvits

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Oh my! You might want to post this question on the Kinder board!