K/1st grade or 2nd/3rd- first year teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by tinafirstgrade, Mar 15, 2007.

1. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

Hello, I am student teaching in first grade. The children are adorable and growing a tremendous amount. I like how they still want to please their teacher and most of them try their best. But, I get very annoyed at how needy they are. I thought I was a patient person until I started actually working with kinders and first graders. My patience is gone because when you have a class room full of them, for me, I HAVE to have them be more independent and responsible. I have found that teaching digraphs, blends, sounds, phonics is not something I like to do. Their attention spans are so short and since they can only do short activities, I find that I'm constantly juggling while standing on my head. I think what I am trying to say is that although I think kids this age are adorable, I don't feel like I get much out of their learning stage.

HOWEVER, I have spent some time in a 3rd grade classroom and absolutley loved what I saw. Students were actually able to read chapter books, work cooperatively in groups, and discuss their thoughts with so much more comprehension. The content was also so much more interesting. I felt when I talked to these children, that they actually listened and understood what I was saying! Yet I have never taught 3rd grade, just observed.

What do you focus on in 3rd grade? Are you still teaching any type of phonics, how do they do in centers?, are you still doing guided reading groups?, etc...If you have any expereince going from K/1st to 2nd/3rd, I would love to know your insights. What shocked you, what did you like, what didn't you like, etc....So far, it seems like a much better fit for me.

Thanks!:D :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: