Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MissH225, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I have a kid at my camp whose mom says he has a processing disorder(auditory I think). I enjoy this kid a lot.As a classroom teacher I was wondering if children with this get any special ed services and/or have an IEP. I could see this kid doing fine in my classroom but I was just curious b/c I obviously don't know the extent of any learning problems since I just see him at camp which is a less structured environment then school

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

It depends on whether an evaluation has been done, and if the student is eligible for services.

I've had several students in the past with CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder). It is almost always diagnosed by a team of physicians (Children's Hospital for me). The students I have had, all were supposed to wear auditory trainers in the classroom which helps to filter out the extra stuff. They hate them though b/c it makes them different. So it is possible for them to receive services, but to remain in the regular classroom as well.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

As karebear said and just to explain eligibility, a disability alone is not enough to qualify for services. The disability would have to interfere with the student's educational progress.

5. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I could be wrong, but I think sometimes students can get a 504 plan to get services they need if they are not special ed.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

You're right. If they do not qualify for special education, but do have a condition/disability that impedes learning, it is possible to qualify for services under section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (known as a 504 plan).