Just wondering

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by kfhsdramaqueen, Oct 28, 2010.

1. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

Does anyone else work in a district that micromanages everything from the downtown office? Mine does, and while I use fall out the the sightlines because of the courses I teach, it is so frustrating to have someone who hasn't been in a classroom in 15 years, and who has never taught my subject, telling me how to work in my classroom. And it's silly stuff too, like,

We must have word walls - okay, I see. But, they must be teacher-generated. They cannot be store bought or student generated.

We must contact our advisory students in the first month of school - okay, I see. But it must be by phone call. A series of ongoing emails with indepth discussion is not enough. It must be a phone call.

We must write lesson plans - okay, i see. But it must be daily, it must fit into the assigned format, you must have a minimum of four different activities listed, and you must have detailed questions about anything being discussed (i.e., it cannot say, socratic seminar on Catcher in the Rye, must have a detailed (1-2 pages) list of questions that will be asked in the course of the discussion)

I don't mind following rules, I don't mind completing procedures, I do mind being told that their way is better, just because it's their way.

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Hmm. I wonder if the micromanagers have ever taught a lesson before.

I find that this format makes classes very teacher-focused as opposed to student-focused. Incorporating students' ideas into discussions or word walls would be an enriching activity. Also, an assigned format for a lesson plan allows for little flexibility. I followed a PACE model in the past and found it to be a poor fit for my teaching style. I created my own little hybrid format that I adore, and I would have a hard time adapting to a plan format imposed on me by a bureaucrat.

Also: I can't remember the last time a lesson went exactly as planned. I'm almost positive it has never happened. I always have to adapt the next day's lesson to suit my students' needs.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

I would sit down with anyone else who teaches your subject. Write out a batch of lesson plans and make a word wall-then do as you wish in your classroom. You are the teacher, you know the students.

Then just use the word wall and lesson plans each year....

5. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

I do reuse my word wall, although I resisted making it for 3 years. As for lesson plans, they change the format on them every year, so although the curriculum never changes, I always have to rewrite them. And our dept. chairs are required to compare lesson plans for teachers in teh same subject to make sure we are not "borrowing". If we are, we have to have a meeting, and all that jazz. It's not the writing that I mind, it's the nitpicky format that has to be followed, and the fact that I have to use 3 pieces of paper to write "Rehearsal" for my advanced theatre course, when that is legitimately all their doing for 3 class periods.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

How long have you been teaching?

7. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

10 years.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

Wow. It does sound like you're being micro-managed!

I could see if it were still the early days of your career, wanting very detailed lesson plans to ensure that you really did have a whole lesson planned.

But not after a decade in the classroom.

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

"And our dept. chairs are required to compare lesson plans for teachers in teh same subject to make sure we are not "borrowing". "

You should be encouraged to borrow from each other. That's collaboration and having common assessments. In fact, my school is putting pressure to make sure we have common assessments.

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 29, 2010

WOW I didn't see this quote last night...

What a waste of time. And this helps to better students' education how? (that question is for the district, not you) ;)
    I did work shortly for a district and principal where the excessive and "silly" mandates had nothing to do with improving the education or well-being of students. For instance one of the many issues was, bulletin boards had to be in 3-D, no cutouts or posters, but you had to craft the main portion of it yourself.

It required hours and hours of working in the school on the weekends, rather than doing those little things called lesson planning and grading papers, so I could never catch up on the most important aspects of the job, especially as a new teacher who started 2nd quarter at that.

Made me want to leave the field altogether, but I have to remember not all schools/districts are like that.

Good luck.

11. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

That is exactly what I was thinking.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Oct 29, 2010

Can you say OCD? I thought you could.

No one's going to do anything right except the person who is making the rules so they have to come up with a litany of rules to make certain that it's being done EXACTLY RIGHT and to make certain no one is skirting the EXACTLY RIGHT way of doing it.

Been there, done this.......burned the d*****d tee shirt.

In my consulting days, I tolerated a data manager who actually put together forms for filling out other forms. We had multi page check lists that we had to initial off on that we had completed this part and that part of the other forms when we collected samples. 7 pages of sample forms that had meaning and 3 pages of check lists to verify that we completed the other 7. (If I could make this stuff up, I'd be Scott Adams writing Dilbert and making a lot of money.)