Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse in Florida...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TampaTeacher2Be, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

I'm sorry but I kind of laugh, since California is about one year further along then FL, maybe even more. My district has 7 schools now, we closed 2 last year, and 1 a few years before that. Tenure is out the window, no one is safe. If you have taught for less than 10 years at that school then you received a pink slip. Class size will be 32 for all grades and all classroom aides were cut. A new teacher has no chance of getting a job in the area I live in. A teacher with years of experience doesn't even have a chance and it is not going to turn around any time soon.

2. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Mar 20, 2009

I have all but given up hope on finding a science/biology position for next school year. What was once a hard subject area to find teachers for seems to have bitten the dust with our state budget.

At this point I just feel fortunate to already have a secure full time job. My husband works for the state, we just hope the rumored 5% employee pay cut doesn't transpire, heck, we barely make enough between us as it is now.

Guess all that most of us can do is hope for the best and look forward to the 2010/2011 school year, perhaps by then things will have turned around for the better. It is a true shame seeing the severe beating education is taking in this state right now, it's not as if we could truly afford for any reductions in the first place.

Here's hoping for the best for all of us! :thumb:

3. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

It is too early to give up for the next school year. You need to have a thick skin unfortunately. I hope you find a job soon.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

FutureFlTeacher, do you have enough science credits to be certified in any science other than Bio?

Chem and/or Physics might be your salvation.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

St. Lucie County announced plans to close two schools. Both elementary (I think).

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

Upsadaisy - one is elementary, one a k-8 (it's a school built entirely of portables); anticipating the school for pregnant teens; possibly the alternative school

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 22, 2009

Some legislators are actually starting to warm-up to the idea of actually increasing the sales tax while they wait for home prices to increase. I might have to dance in the street, with a lampshade and sing "I'm a little teapot."

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

I think it'll be a LONG time before home prices increase down here. Everyone's crying about property taxes and a 1 cent increase, but then they turn around and bash the school systems for coming up short. I wonder how long it will be before someone in Tally utters the words "state income tax" very, very softly.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sure about FL, but I heard that existing home sales actually saw an increase last quarter!

10. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

Oh that would be wonderful news!! We need money for education here.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 24, 2009

Home sales in Tampa Bay were up. Prices are still down 27% from the previous year but this means that people can actually afford the home they buy.

12. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Apr 25, 2009

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 25, 2009

I graduated this past December with my degree in Elem Education and have been trying to get a job ever since in Broward. I am barely subbing because of 6000 plus subs in the system and forget about trying to get an interim position. I'm glad we're moving out of state because there is just no hope for me here to find a job. I feel bad for those teaching being laid off and the new teachers who can't find jobs. I just don't understand why it is okay to cut education funding.....I know money doesn't grow on trees but you don't sacrifice your children's education!

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 25, 2009

The best part is that they haven't applied for the stimulus money. I wasted 20,000 grand going back to school because I had finally figured out what I wanted to do and now I'll be subbing again. I'm starting to wonder if I can get a refund. The only luck I have is bad luck.

Who is going to teach all these kids when they come back? We're not losing tens of thousands of students plus we still have class-size to meet. It's a sad situation all-around. The kids will get short-changed.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/legislature/article994508.ece

15. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

Hey I8 don't feel so bad, when I went on job interviews a few principals told me the same thing about getting my masters. I told them that I had barely managed my tuition at the University. They said that since I wasn't an education major that I would have to start from scratch. I was like huh? Oh btw these are the same people that are being cut right now. I have been able to sub so far on two occasions. In Broward we need to clear 5 days of subbing or we have to go through the whole process again.

I want to teach so I have to sub in order to go to the next level. Well lets just say I hope to be subbing more in the fall. I plan to get my certs this year in all of my subjects plus pass those darn test. No matter how many times I have to take them!!!!!
    :D
    Just keep a positive mind!!!!!

16. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 27, 2009

Thing is, I AM certified teacher who has passed all of the tests. But I'm moving on to what I hope to be better things...I'm moving to another state and in a county that I hope I'll be hired in.

Good luck in getting three more days of subbing in. I've only been subbing since the end of January and have been able to get my 5 days in (thanks to the school I student taught at). Also, good luck in passing those tests! I didn't feel I needed to study for the subject area (k-6) or professiona but the GK is the one I really studied hard for...got the practice books and all. Passed on the first try on all of them and let's just say I'm not 20 something. : )

17. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

As another one who is not 20 something neither I am just trying to meet the requirements for the pool subbing. I think once I get it then I can get in as a pool sub and then work on my certs for the upcoming school year. The parts that bothers me is that I knew a few students who graduated with me were hired in the Winter term and none of them had classroom management. One was a Language arts teacher and another one was Social Studies. The only thing was that they both had their certs and that is what I am currently working on. I have been able to get some good news.
    I hope I can get it done. Please keep us posted I hope that you are able to get in.
    Earth