Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse in Florida...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TampaTeacher2Be, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

Just looked up online, and the Great Florida Teach In (huge job fair, which almost every district attends) has essentially been cancelled. Well, not totally cancelled, but moved to a "virtual" format:

The Great Florida Teach-In, a statewide job fair for educators, will have a dramatic new format this year. Instead of being staged at a physical location, employers and candidates will interact in the virtual world! From the convenience of home and office computers, candidates and employers will be able to post electronic versions of resumes and vacant positions. Searching and screening for suitable matches will be easier and more efficient for everyone. Florida's first Virtual Teach-In is tentatively scheduled for the first week in July.

http://www.teachinflorida.com/Recruitment/JobFairs/tabid/64/ModuleID/694/ItemID/79/mctl/EventDetails/Default.aspx?selecteddate=3/12/2009

So now, its essentially no better than anonymously emailing your resume to school districts.

This is so frustrating!! :banghead:

3. palla

palla Companion

Mar 11, 2009

Oh that stinks! What is the advanatage of doing that over filling the online application for each district?

4. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

It really does stink!!! I hope I get into nursing school, there are doesn't seem to be any jobs in education. :( Dang it all, lots of hard work went into obtaining a degree.

5. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

There really is no advantage - it is basically the same thing. I think it is their nice way of "cancelling" it without actually cancelling it.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2009

Are you able to virtually interact with reps from the districts via webcam?

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 11, 2009

Oh it could always get worse. The legislature is "working" right now. To be honest, I think it's going to be older workers passed over this year. Why should they hire someone with experience when they can get a newbie for less money. The districts aren't hurting for applicants anymore. They will have to hire people. It will be interesting to see who they hire though.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2009

The only advantage is that I don't have to fuss with eyeliner or wear heels.

Other than than... meh. I'm not even ready for job fair season since my professional certificate can't even be processed until the beginning of May. So my one last hope flies out the window...

9. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 11, 2009

*sigh*

I don't like this news at all. I was hoping to get some face-to-face time since I feel like my chances are better when I can actually talk to a person. Now, once again, I'll be sending my resume out to a black hole, and I'll never hear anything.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

Its definitely a different way to hold a job fair...but don't give up. Like other posters said, they still have to hire people! :hugs: to all of you searching!

11. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

I was told that in Broward that they were not to sure about ours neither.
    It was to the point I emailed the subbing department that I would like to be off their list for subs since I was only called in once. Its been almost 2 years since I got my papers and I get better offers else where for a job????
    Broward is in a worst condition and they are not saying anything!!!!!!

12. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

If you go to teachinflorida.com from what I saw the other day there is a teacher fair for northern counties in Florida. Check it out!

13. smalltowngal

Mar 12, 2009

earth- I'm sorry that you haven't been getting any calls to sub lately.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 12, 2009

I thank God every day I have my job and it's as secure as any job can be in this climate.

15. cheercoach83

cheercoach83 New Member

Mar 12, 2009

Probably not going to like what I say....

I know it sounds horrible that they have essentially cancelled their job fair, but considering the huge numbers of teachers who are being cut in each school district across the state, there is no point in wasting everyone's time and the state's money in holding the fair.
    Also, as one of the teachers who is potentially being cut, it would be a slap in the face to lose my job due to budget cuts while the state is holding a teaching job fair. Just saying. They should keep the teachers they have before recruiting new ones.

16. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 13, 2009

Cheercoach,

I don't think any of us would disagree with you - ideally, I would love it if they didn't have to layoff anyone, and they still needed to do enough hiring to warrant a job fair. :)

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2009

Just saw this morning that Florida is seriously considering a four day week. I wonder just how much money that would save them and if it would a) allow for current teachers to retain their jobs and b) allow for Florida to fulfill the class size amendment and hire new teachers.

18. lisamicheller

lisamicheller Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

No teaching jobs in Florida, eh? I worry about that here in Texas. I work at an elementary school as a Principal's Secretary & have teachers call me all the time desperate for an opportunity to interview.

I've heard though that the lower the grade you try to teach, the harder it is to get in. Nobody wants to deal with the TAKS test I guess.

Scary to have a degree & not be able to get a job!

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 13, 2009

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2009

"Pretty darn good shape" for a stimulous package that may not go through?

Is Crist smoking crack?

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 13, 2009

He's sure smoking something. I've actually been writing to my representatives. Haven't heard anything but at least I tried to do something.

22. smalltowngal

Mar 13, 2009

lisa-Lower elementary is harder to get into than any grade that has the TAKS test. The saturated market in elem ed in TX has nothing to do with budget cuts or laying teachers off, but everything to do with colleges cranking out hundreds of teachers at the elem level. And you're going into HS or MS right?

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2009

MATGrad - that's a good idea.

Have you seen the email circulating from one representative? I'm not sure if it's fake or not, but he basically decrees that education cannot be held above budget cuts in light of home foreclosures/small business failings/etc.

24. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 15, 2009

Well, I've basically given up finding a job in Florida. I don't see the job market getting better anytime soon.

25. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 15, 2009

I haven't seen the email but I do know that hubby and I can't handle him taking a paycut beyond 5%. He's already looking into part-time jobs.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2009

chebrutta, I haven't seen that email, either, but it wouldn't surprise me. I understand that the failings of the economy hits everyone, but I think it should be shared equally. And I think that when the final numbers come in, there will be openings in Fl schools to rehire many teachers.

27. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 15, 2009

I was also reading today that some lawmakers are hesitant to take the stimulus money because it prevents further cuts to education. On the plus side, they are actually having a discussion about how to make a more equitable tax system including raising taxes. Granted if they do this I will be forced to dance in the moonlight singing "I'm a little tea pot" since it would be just as absurd.

28. raynor

raynor Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

Sounds like it's the Monster co m site of teaching, lol Applications will get lost in the Cyber Void. :p

29. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Mar 18, 2009

Yup I know a few friends in Broward are getting their hours cut. The teachers that do not have their certs are being told that they have to get everything done by June 1st of this year. If they do not they are being cut.
    People that are working in the offices and other areas are being relocated to other areas.
    This sucks big time.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

A county near me has a new middle school opening next year - hiring only internal candidates in the district.

There's 2 high schools, 3 middle schools, and 14 elementary schools. Heard through the grapevine that elementary teachers on annual contracts have been advised to get middle school certification if they want a shot at a job next year.

Because in June, everyone on an annual is being cut but may be rehired for next year.

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

And so it begins - the first school closing in my county was announced. I suspect more to come with the number of elementary schools at 1/2 capacity.

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 19, 2009

Oh no! :( I've read several books about the Great Depression. It was when government started laying off workers that things got real bad.

33. smalltowngal

Mar 19, 2009

cherb-I'm sorry to hear that. I know that puts even more competition out there. I'll be praying for you and the other teachers that are effected by the closing.

34. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

The question is....where is the money that the Florida Lottery was supposed to use towards education?? Is someone pocketing this money or what??
    Wasn't this the purpose of the lottery in Florida? To put money into school?? I bet schools haven't seen a dime of it

35. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

and heres another question since im mad...
    Classes are already packed! Wouldn't it be a better learning environment if there was 10-15 kids in a class instead of 20-25? Our kids are the ones losing out..it makes me sick...
    and honestly I would love to teach. I have a year left but I feel like I have wasted my time now. I am not the only special ed major wanting a classroom on top of other universities. :-( Then again my friend who is a nurse had 2 nurse friends laid off..they are piling more patients for one nurse. eeeeeeeeeeek

36. cult

cult Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

More and more it seems like the education jobs that are to be created, now and in the future, are not going to be in the public sector. Instead they'll be in charter and private schools. Especially considering Obama supports merit pay and charter schools.

37. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

2nd school closing announced, with 2 more anticipated. All teachers on an annual contact will be let go at the end of the year. Reports of teachers with 25 years being told to retire. Teachers will take a 1% pay DECREASE next school year. They have not received the step increase dictated by contract for TWO YEARS.

This is just my area, guys. It's never been top economically, but unless Arne Duncan puts money where his mouth is, this is just the beginning.

CDV - the Lotto was a scam. From what I understand, for every Lotto dollar that goes to education, that amount is deducted from the state education budget. So instead of supplementing it, it has replaced it (I'll let MATGrad correct me if I'm wrong).

And I'm laughing at your class size - we already have 25-30 kids in a class. Next year the numbers will be 35-40 with no aides.

Please let there be some fiscal miracle in NC :) Please?

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

...And it got worse here today. 3 schools will be closing. All teachers district level who are serving in a capacity other than classroom teacher will be sent back to the classroom. All annual contract teachers will lose their jobs and will have to apply for any district openings that may be left after the tenured teachers are placed.

39. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

OMG! 25-30 STUDENTS? How in the world do these politicians think teachers can do their jobs on top of taking away their salary and piling students up to 30 or more in a class. How can there be any type of learning? We are human and unless your have secret Jeannie powers,theres no way for a classroom to be a descent learning environment this way... WILL THINGS GET ANY BETTER YEARS TO COME?? What about Georgia,how is their status? I mean, I am sure families might move up there to get out of Florida. Is there any hope for me???

40. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

Right now, I'd say there is very little hope for anyone. Unless there is a miracle with Florida's budget and an extreme change of heart in the legislature, I predict many, many more school closing and job losses over the state before the next fiscal year starts (July 1st).

Now I need MATGrad - this stimulus money that we may/may not receive - isn't that ear marked for school construction/renovation and cannot be used for salaries?

41. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

Crist announced another 15% holdback in revenues for state agencies yesterday. The shortfall in the state is $6 BILLION with the stimulus money it's still $3 billion short.

Florida is still waiting for a waiver from the Feds but the Feds won't give it until the budget is passed. It's likely that they will have to raise taxes. The most likely targets are cigarettes, some sales tax exemptions. It's unlikely but the 1 cent sales tax might pass. Parents are getting angry. For the first time, the GOP is losing support among its voters in Florida.

Now, the education stimulus is the separate component. It can't be used except for what its written for. Title I, IDEA and school improvements. Some of it will be used to rebuild/improve existing schools. Title I and IDEA money can be used to hire teachers but only in those schools and situations. The district can't say "School A you're getting this extra Title I money so we're cutting your budget."

The money is unlikely to be used to improve salaries. The general state stabilization fund could be used in that regard but more likely it'll be used to get more teachers.

Just an FYI, there is a bill floating around the house right now that changes teacher tenure. You're on annual the first ten years you teach. Then you get five-year professional contracts that have to be renewed. It would be no more automatic you get to stay after three years. In theory, I agree with it. After 3 years of subbing the amount of complacency I saw was scary but 10 years to get any sort of security is just frightening.