Just what is the proper thank you letter length???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by munchkin, Jul 10, 2008.

1. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

Have any of you ever wrote a thank you letter that was short, sweet and to the point, "thanks for meeting with me on xxxx for x position. I look forward to hearing from you i n the near future....?"

According to my hubby, the first President Bush was famous for his very short, handwritten notes to heads of state that were no more than 3-5 sentences long and very brief. My husband tells me that most people loved it.... He thinks I am coo-coo for stressing so much over this.

I don't know about anyone else, but hey that man already had a job! I don't. Nowhere in that brief note is there a horn tooting that the "pro's" say you should write.

Writing for me , even letters, is pure torture!:help: I agonize over every single grammatical part, having the "right" words, and not repeating certain words/phrases over an over... and it ends up taking me hours to polish one that is good enough in my own mind to send.(oh yes, I DO have alot of interview technique books and have researched this stuff repeatedly.... but still - writing letters are torture for me.:down:

I ask people in my family, and some friends to edit the stuff for me, so I don't screw up and send a superintendent of a school district a poorly composed, full of grammatical or spelling error disaster of a letter. I am, after all, asking to teach potentially hundreds of children in that school district, and if I can't compose a well written letter as a " professional educator" why in heavens would I be asking to teach???:eek:

Am I "nutzo" to think this way? or just paranoid and I should get over it and just not agonize over a silly letter and "get her done"????:blush:

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

My thank-you notes were pretty short, but not THAT short. Here is a typical note:

Dear Principal,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to interview for Grade 1-5 Teacher at XYZ Elementary. It was a pleasure meeting you. I was impressed by both your professionalism and warmth.

Your school has many of the qualities I am seeking as I begin my teaching career, including a diverse student population and a caring and close-knit staff. Additionally, I feel strongly that my educational background and student teaching experiences within your district make me the perfect fit for the position as well as an enthusiastic addition to your teaching team!

Again, thank you for your hospitality. After hearing more about the position, I am all the more excited about the opportunities that ABC District and XYZ school offer! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

Erin

4. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

nice job Erin Elizabeth! :2up:I likes it! I likes it!.... can I borrow it?:D

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

I write (and love to receive ones) that say something like...

Dear MsWK,

Thank you again for taking the time to meet with me today. I enjoyed talking with you about the XX position. I am still very interested in your school, so please feel free to contact me for any additional information you may require.

Sincerely,

MsWK.

Sometimes, I'll put (or see) a line in the middle that says, "After I left the interview, I thought you might like to see evidence of [whatever question you were unprepared for in the interview, i.e., my guidance plan]. Please find my guidance plan for my PreK classroom attached to this e-mail."

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Yes, please do!

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 11, 2008

Mine have ALWAYS been only 3-5 sentences. I use a nice blank card, handwrite my thank you and send it. They already have the info from resume and other things, I figure they don't need something long from me! Short and sweet and to the point!