just wanted to share an idea (long)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hipteachergirl, Aug 22, 2007.

1. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Well, today in my Senior Seminar class, we had demonstrators that talked about music and movement in the classroom. They had some really great ideas, but a few things really stuck out to me and I thought I would share:

1) The music lady (hehe) was reading a book about a Native American folk tale. She first read it normally. Then, she read while she turned on a CD of Native Am flute playing in the background. The flute music was extremely soothing (think massage music) and I was amazed at the difference it made to the story. It was GREAT!

2) The movement teacher gave us a few ideas as well. She encouraged teaching dances of a certain historical period or country. For instance, if the class was studying about Russia, the class could learn the stroika (I think that's the name). This also works with learning folk songs from the area. It is a great way to come together as a classroom community and make the learning interesting.

3) The 2nd task the movement lady gave us was my favorite. She paired us into groups of 4 or 5 (there are about 45 of us). We stood in lines at one end of the room. At the other, she laid down a piece of butcher paper about 2' by 3' and a marker for each team. She gave us an objective: draw the most detailed map of the U.S. you can. There was a twist though. She said GO and the 1st person went down to draw. They only had about 30 seconds to draw. Then it was the next person, next, so on. This went on for about 5 minutes total until we had each gone several times. This was a great activity. She had the paper on the ground far away from everyone else to take away the embarrassing "performance" aspect of it. She also didn't give us any other criteria, except a "detailed US map." The maps we made were SO funny and it was a great stress reliever. We all were smiling and laughing. Also, it was a good gauge of the overall class knowledge of geography (it wasn't a good sign, hehe). Anyway, this could be used at any grade, drawing any item. 1st graders, for example could be asked to draw a map of their classroom, town, or even a picture of the teacher (this might be good!).

Just got a bit excited...wanted to share. Oh and wish me luck, I start my ST experience on Monday!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2007

hipteachergirl, I love the map drawing activity! That would be great for any age group, I would think! Congratulations and good luck on your ST -- what age group will you be teaching? I began my ST experience almost 2 weeks ago with 3rd graders - it is definitely challenging, but I love it!

4. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Whew those are some good ideas! I wish I was musically gifted or could dance and teach my children something.

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Great ideas! It reminded me of a conference I attended where the teacher read a story or letter by a fictional immigrant coming to America and as she read she put clothing on like a Russian girl, like a shawl and stuff. It really made you get into the life of the person.
    Good tips.

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

I was thinking as I was reading that my 2nd graders could draw me. What a great tension/anxiety reliever. thanks. It also reminded me of an anticipatory set I once did with my kids (taken from a baby shower game of all things!). I was introducing birds at the time. I gave each kid a paper plate and a marker. They put the plate on top of their heads and drew their best bird-no peeking at it. It was hilarious! (At the shower we drew a baby.)

7. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Great ideas! I love the one about the map. I would have loved to have seen those! :lol: Great luck with your STing :D

8. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Sep 7, 2007

I LOVE this idea. Such a great one. My 5th graders would be hilarious!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

Good ideas!

I might try the map idea with my fourth graders at the end of the year when they have a little more to go on. Too bad Ohio is such a hard state to draw!!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2007

What great ideas!! I love having music in the classroom. I normally use it to soothe the class down after recess and PE, but I'm going to use it during reading as well. Good luck on your ST. I love 5th graders.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

MsKay - You don't have to be musically gifted or able to dance to teach it to your kids! Honest! There are super CDs out there for just this purpose. Try the Learning Station, John Farrell, Jack Hartman, and many others. I just got Jack Hartman's Shake, Rattle and Read, and it is awesome! The Learning Station has CDs called Literacy in Motion which are just great - fun movements! There is surely something out there for 4th graders to enjoy!

Movement is so important - it sparks the brain to learn! So does the music. I am determined to bring music into my classroom big time this year. Go for it! Even if you can't dance, the kids will have fun watching you!