Just want to say "thanks"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zmp2018, Dec 30, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Dec 30, 2018

I have been meaning to make a post like this in a while, but here it is:

I just want to say "thanks" for the advice I have received from all of you over the past several months. I became a "poster" instead of a "lurker" back in February when I began my pre-service student teaching. I posted more often during my student teaching that just ended a few weeks ago.

I do like reading all the advice that you all share on these forums. I often came here after a rough day of teaching to get some reassurance that things aren't always bad, haha. I felt such a sense of pride and accomplishment after student teaching ended. I truly felt I made a difference in many of my students' lives.

For those of you that have mentored student teachers: thank you. I know how much of a task it can be in addition to worrying about your students. I was blessed with a mentor that helped me both inside and outside the classroom, and I could not be more grateful.

I am off to the world of day-to-day subbing, which is really nerve-wracking, but I have enjoyed it so far. I hope there is a full-time job somewhere in my near future!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2018

Look at subbing as post grad training. It will help you hone skills that will make you a better teacher candidate in interviews down the road. I subbed for several years, until I was virtually a full time teacher in my prime district. When I decided to pursue alternate route teaching certification, I earned my first job from my first interview, and that sub experience sealed the deal. Enjoy subbing - I know I did. Be honest about what does and doesn't work for you. I'm not a K or first grade person - the itty bitties aren't my thing, but I learned to love middle school everything. I now use that experience in the SPED MS classes I teach, as well as some of my lower functioning HS students. From that MS experience, I learned that I love teaching Social Studies and ELA, and have endorsements in both. That experience is always valuable when working with ESL students, since you are invariably playing catch up when giving them academic vocabulary.

wldywall likes this.