Just venting!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher36, Apr 28, 2010.

1. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

I am soooo depressed. After work today (I teach morning pre-K), I came home, put on some make-up, got dressed in my best suit and took folders (with my resume, cover letter, letter of rec, and brochure) to 3 districts. The first one, I am already on their sub list, so I just dropped the packet with the business office and asked them to keep it on file should a job open up. The second, I met the superintendent (who was so pleasant and so "sorry" that there was nothing available, but then sent me to the business office to fill out an app for subbing, when I got there, they told me the sub list was closed until the end of Sept,, but she did take my packet). Finally, the third district wouldn't even let me in the door to get to the admin office, they just took my packet and said they would forward it (this is the security officer who called down and was told to take it), I couldn't even ask about subbing. I had high hopes for today and it really didn't turn out the way I planned. So Sad!!

3. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

I'm sorry. :(

I know your frustration.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

During my last job search I put in thousands of applications. Of those, I got a dozen or so interviews. From those interviews, I got 4 second interviews. I was offered two positions, both required me to move.

The job market is brutal right now. Don't be too hard on yourself. Finding a job IS a full time job. You will have good days and bad days. Keep plugging along. Eventually your dedication will pay off.

5. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

:hugs:

It is so not your fault. It is hard dealing with district offices. The "greeters" are trained to weed out the visitors.

I think you should be proud of yourself for going through with a difficult task that can only help you. You never know what might turn up!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2010

Tomorrow hit 3 or 4 more. And Friday 3 or 4 more.

It only takes one "hit" to get a job.

7. brandy

brandy Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

good job

at least you were brave enough to actually take your resume to these places. That desrves a pat on the back. Lots of people have been posting that it is still very early.

8. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

I know what you're going through. I felt embarrassed, dejected, worthless, and depressed trying to find a teaching job. It sounds kind of lame, but go to YouTube and look up the Rocky Balboa speech Rocky gives to his son about "being able to take the hits". That always made me feel better when I was in your position. Find something inspirational you can watch to get you out of your funk.

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 29, 2010

You guys are awesome!!

Alice-you're like a drill sergeant-I will go to more places today!

Penguin, mmswm, Bubblysub, and Brandy-thanks for your support. I know so many people are going through the same thing. It's depressing!!

Jwteacher-Thanks for the laugh. My husband LOVES Rocky and knows all of the scenes by heart. That is definitely an inspirational movie and I think we may have to have a date night tonight with a little wine and watch it together. That will get my spirits up!!! (The wine will come after I hit a few more districts today!!!)
    Thanks everyone!:)

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

Hope today had better results!! I'm sorry that yesterday was a bust, but you never know what can come of those packets.