Just took all 3 tests....

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Janie, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Janie

Janie Guest

Jul 16, 2005

:angel:

3. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

The waiting is always the hardest part. :( I took I and III today and actually thought the essays were ok. The multiple choice seemed really hard though. I studied for two months, looking at Cliff notes, Barrons, Hirsch, plus whatever else I could get my hands on. I'd bet 80-90% of the multiple choice questions were NOT covered in the material I studied.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 16, 2005

I took Subtest I today. The multiple choice questions were kinda tough. I did ok on most of the essays, although on one if them I really had to uh, get creative. I figure I either pass by a few points, or don't pass by several, lol. It's always so hard for me tell how I did on these. Overall I feel it did ok, considering I didn't get in as much study time as I had hoped for. This is the only section I have left and I'm really anxious to be done with CSET. After that I have the RICA Mountain to climb. *sigh* Now I am going to eat, and rest....I swear these exams drain me big time.
    Best of luck to everyone!
    Nasimi77 :rolleyes:

5. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

Creativity on the essays is good. That's what I did on one of the science ones last time and I got a checkmark.

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 16, 2005

Yeah, it's true what they say about it being better to put something than nothing at all. I was sooooo worn out thismorning too, I just took a look at my test and felt overwhelmed. However, I took a deep breath, drank some water {thankfully this proctor let us have h20} and I just paced myself. When I came to the tougher CR question, I just tried my derndest to think of what I did know; I made plenty of notes and when I started writing, I thought of a few more things. I know it didn't flow very well, but still at least I put something. :crosseyed It also helps to review the multiple choice questions...since sometimes there's information in them you can use for your essay. Well, I hope you did great VEg GUy! :D

7. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

I know how it is to be tired. I woke up at 5:00 this morning. Ugh! And then we had this distraction in our testing room. There was some sort of beeping sound and all these monitors were walking around the room trying to figure out what was causing it. It was about 20 minutes before things were calmed down enough for me to focus. And then I completely messed up and wrote one of the essays on the wrong page. Which meant I had to copy it onto the right page and then erase it from the wrong page. What fun!!! :) Hope you did great as well!

8. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

hey, that was what i did! i had to erase two of the essays and copy them a little at a time. i put one in fours spot and four in ones spot! it frazzled my nerves! i hope i did well...talking about just putting down something....what about putting down too much, and maybe even the right and wrong together! i just wanted to cover my tushie, and so i just kept on putting more and more stuff on the essay... i really felt like i blanked up big time on one of the essays. how many can we miss on the multiple choice, and what if we don't get a 2 on every essay...can we make up for it with a three on one of them if lets say we get a one on one. lets say you know a concept...even if it isn't worked out completely correct. i know that i got the first part of one of the math essays, but the wording...i completely read it wrong! i am so surprised at how unethical they test! why try to trick a person into putting down the right answer...i feel this to be a lower consciousness approach in educational practices... you know it reminds me of when socrates said in his essays, that if you pose the question correctly even the slave boy could answer it correctly...in other words, meet a human being at the level of their intelect and they will be able to intelligently respond! this is the way of alternative education. i am really surprised at how many times they try to trick you...it is a real shame, and not very good role modeling...are we going to trick our students into the right answers? not on your life!
    cheers, :p forget-me-not
    ps i didn't sleep hardly at all the past few nights after the test...and then i finally said oh well....if i passed it great, but if i didn't...i will just take it again! i hope we all passed! sweet dreams

9. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one to make that mistake. :)

Most of the study guides indicate that you need to get about 65% of the multiple choice correct and average a score of "2" on your essays. Doing really well in one area (for example, getting 80% on the multiple choice) can make up for doing poorly in another area.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2005

The subtests are scored totally holistically - means it doesn't matter where you get your points as long as the scaled points add up to 220. You can star on math and whimper on science and still pass; you can muddle on multiple choice and as long as you rule on constructed response, you're golden.

11. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

hi vegguy...what do you mean by a checkmark? you mean the x's they give you, or are you talking about something extra? expalin please :angel:

12. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

a poet you are!

13. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

On the constructed responses, they give you a checkmark if you did well. Look at side two of your report.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

Noticed my alliteration, did you?

"Check mark" is one of the ways a particular constructed response can be scored in the diagnostic information on side 2 of the official score report. "Check mark" means you fulfilled the minimum requirements for that question (though it doesn't necessarily mean you get full points for it). If you don't get a check mark, you might get p (for having not shown that you quite got the Purpose of the question), s (for not having Supported your answer with examples or explanations), or k (for not having shown Knowledge, typically by using appropriate terminology), or any combination of p, k, s.

15. TAMMY

TAMMY Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

do you think we have to wait until Aug 15 to know our scores?
    That is kind of a rip off because I think you have to resign up for the Cset
    by Aug 12. So if we didn't pass then we have to pay a late fee to sign
    up for Sept. THey should let us know before Aug 12 so we don't have to
    pay the late fee.

16. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

From what I've heard, if you don't pass, they'll waive the late fee. So definitely wait till you get your scores before deciding to register again.

17. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

didn't you feel like you were going to have a heart attack from trying to erase and re-write so fast?! i also felt that i just lost it after that....all confidence. i have done that before too....i could have swore that i was placing them on the right pages too. i am so dyslexic under pressure! i need to pass this test!

well i hope you did it! today i called the commission on teacher credentialing, i was on hold 47 minutes, and because i have so many classes in english i am probably eligible for what is called a introductory subject matter and specific subject matter authorization, which will be attached to my multiple subject credential. what this means is that i can teach K-9th introductory (english, dramtic art, english literature) and 9th-12th specific subject matter (english).

i was very happy to say the least to find this out. i just have to pick up a speech class. ucsb didn't require speech. need more information? log onto the commission website. need help getting there ask me! :)

18. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

check marks: okay.....i just looked at my subtest 1 and 2 scores ( both of them i passed) and i recieved check marks on the essay portions on both tests, and what it says is that check marks indicate that the response meets minimum requirements for all performance characteristics. then it goes on to say that otherwise, the performanc characteristic areas in which improvement is needed are indicated using the dianostic codes in the table below.
    anyways...i agree with vegguy, and remember that i was more creative when i wrote those essays out. (or short responses) i am afraid that i will get a U-1 on july 16ths test, because i stated all of those equations in the science constructed response which you said did not apply. i am just going to keep in touch and try to ask questions on this site without stating the actual questions, but similar ones i got tripped up on as i remember them.
    i talked it over today with a girlfriend and she said that it sounded like i passed, and she is pretty right on most of the time. it's cool either way, because as i said before i am making connections as i never have before. stay calm and cool ;)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

I really and truly doubt you will have gotten a U on that one question, because U is for Unscorable (unreadable, blank, language other than English, TOTALLY off topic) and you weren't totally off topic. You might have gotten a 1, but a 2 would be likelier.

For a person who doesn't pass but gets check marks on all four Subtest II constructed responses and three pluses or more for overall constructed response performance on Subtest II, it might make sense to work on multiple choice skills in addition to Subtest II content.

Sounds like you've got the right attitude, forget-me-not.

20. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

are you like me...always up late at night!? i can think better in the quiet...but teacher groupie i am sorry if i gave you the impression that i got check marks on 2, actually i only got one check mark on the constructed response section of the subtest 2, and it was in science...oops i meant subtest 1 and 3. english and history, i happen to love! i have 51 units of english, including dramatic art (18th century comedies, greek and roman) and i am fired up about shakespear, milton, and chaucher) i could turn into a born again, reading milton's paradise lost, i happen to be a jew with a flare for all religions. one of my majors is religious studies. i really would like work with dying people, i am not afraid of death. i have helped individuals into the world as a lay midwife and individuals out of the world with love and compassion. teaching children with their bright, beautiful minds is my passion. i love to use literature to educate, and if i teach english in high school i will use literature to help students with their current day issues. there is nothing new under the sun! just modern terminology, and the best teachers are those who learn right along with their students...right teachergroupie?

thanks for the compliment. i really am glad i found this website. i choose to believe that if you really want to make a difference the universe will find the right place for you to do just that. there are so many children who need to believe, and so many people who judge and make them loose their way by the time they are teenagers. this is not an easy world to succeed in. hearts seem to harden younger and younger...i just want to help my students believe in themselves, and help them realize their true learning style, and how special they are. we all need tools to survive in these difficult times. this is so important. i sure hope i passed this subtest....i really have trouble thinking in the box....i didn't realize i was dyslexic until i was 31 yrs. old.
    i really have made so many connections because of you....thanks!

goodnight teachergroupie, sleep with the angels :angel:

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

Every time I answer a question on this Web site, I learn something new and see a connection I hadn't made before. Whether I'm one of the best teachers is an open question, but, as you say, forget-me-not, the best teachers are those who learn with their students.

People who are good at English and history are generally good at making sense of motivations. Try thinking of chemical substances and numbers as individuals or groups, and try thinking about laws of science and math as motivations: in other words, try doing science and math as stories, with settings and conflicts and resolutions; try visualizing, too. Kids' reference books and Web sites can be helpful that way.

If multiple choice questions give you grief, you're not alone. Try treating each multiple choice question as a very short constructed response - cover the options up with your hand or the answer sheet, jot down a very brief response, and then uncover the possible answers and see which looks most like what you came up with.

Thanks for the good wishes, forget-me-not.

22. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

hi nasimi77, the rica is easy compared to the cset. i studied from the book "ready for rica", and it is a book you will want to keep to reference. it really helped me a great deal, and it has practice tests in the back of the book. the practice tests they have on the national testing sites website helped too. i really studied hard for it and it payed off. good luck, you can do it! :)

23. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 5, 2005

Hey Forget-Me-Not: Thanks for the tip on RICA. I was talking to a teacher today who aslo said she didn't find RICA to be as challenging. First, I must climb Mt. Cset. If I passed Subtest I that I took in July, I'm done with it! If not, well...I'll just take it again.
    Thanks again for the encouragement. Good luck 2 you as well!
    Peace out.
    nasimi77

24. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

hey nasim77 you are welcome! i am just really hoping i passed the last portion of the cset, subtest II, and my last test! i am really not the best at scientific or mathematical explanations, however i am really starting to make incredible connections thanks to this groovy website! i have the same attitude that you have...if i do not pass i will just have to take it again. i had a friend of 23 years say to me today that if you don't pass maybe you are just not qualified. i was very polite and said no that is just not the case, and found myself starting to explain myself away....i could feel that dead judgement on the other end of the phone, but you know what...it is darn hard to be a teacher and a leader, and it has always never been easy to want to strive for excellence throughout time.
    so lets just keep supporting eachother, and passing it on so we can continue making this world a better place! i secretly want to be a life long student too! :love:

ps. how did you place that cool sun in front of your name, was that with clip art? i really like suns! :p 10 days to go! keep the faith!