Just starting out.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by never 2 late, Jul 13, 2008.

1. never 2 late

never 2 late New Member

Jul 13, 2008

I am a late bloomer and want to start a new career of teaching. I need advice on starting my career as a 30 something year old SAHM. Would you recommend I start as a substitute or a teacher aide while earning my degree?

:help:

3. msmath

msmath Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

That is one way you could do it. I am 24, but got into teaching through an alternative program called the NYC Teaching Fellows. You could see if your state/city has something like that. The NYCTF has many career changers. It's a great program. I would look into something like that, or sub and go to school at night.

4. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I do not know how it is in your location, but in NJ, you need at least 60 college credits in order to receive a substitute certification. It is a good way to see if teaching is something you would enjoy. Most of the teaching assistant positions also require either college with emphasis on education, even if you have not yet obtained a teaching degree, and some experience working with children in and out of the classroom.

You mention that you are a SAHM. I would definitely put anything you did involving children on your resume, whether it be coaching, working in a volunteer capacity at their schools, PTA, etc. It all helps, and life experience IS experience.

Good luck to you.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

I know in my state you cannot be a sub w/o a credential. But if you have a BA, there are post-bac or masters programs you can do in a year. I did my certification in one year, and got my masters in one more semester. If you get your masters you will also earn more $ to start with.

there may also be alternative programs for people who already have an AA or some college credit. Where I live a lot of the community colleges have programs sponsored by the universities so they are in more convenient locations (since we have 4 state universities all spread out in each corner of the state.)

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

Do you have enough college credits to qualify to be a sub? Here you have to have a certain number of college credits before you can be a sub.

Also, beware of people telling you about career switcher or alternative programs. It sounds great, but they require you already have a bachelor's degree and most require at least five years experience in some type of career. You say you are a SAHM, so I don't know if you went to college before becoming a mother, or if you are talking about starting from scratch.

If you have enough college credits to sub and you want to do it, go for it. If not, aiding might be a great way to get into things. Most aiding is on a fairly rigid schedule, so you might have a hard time taking classes (unless your classes are at night.)

Personally, I think that you need to get signed up for a college program and get a few classes under your belt before you do either. If money isn't an issue (which if you've been a SAHM, it must not be) then focus on your school and classes. Your program will have lots of opportunities for you to do practicums. Just my opinion...

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

I returned to school when my youngest started school. When I first started out, I did sub a lot. I did so for various reasons: 1. to make sure I really wanted to be in education 2. learn from teachers 3. make myself known to administration so that I would have my foot in the door when it came time to find a job. I learned SO much from subbing! Plus, I made valuable friends and established a network that was very helpful during my schooling. You will learn SO much about classroom management by subbing. And you will get tons of ideas from just being in other teachers rooms. It will also help in defining the grade or level that you are best suited for.

Good luck! :)

9. msmath

msmath Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Yes, I'm sorry I think I may have read it wrong. I thought you already had your BA and wanted to switch careers, which is why I mentioned alternative programs. If not, you're going to need at least your BA before subbing (I would think that is the case for all states).

10. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

In Ky, I believe the sub requirements are different per district. I know that in mine a certain number of college hours and sub training is required. I began sub teaching in college to get some experience, earn extra money, etc. I never wanted to be a teacher until then. So, it changed my career and my life. I waited several year before finishing though. I think many people think it's bad to be older and just starting out in a career or job. It actually helped me. I was a SAHM for several years and moved all over (Navy husband) and when I got my first job, it was partly because I was a bit older and had 'been there, done that" in many things. My principal later told me that he felt more confident in my abilities to handle situations and manage middle schoolers. Still, education isn't for everyone. If you can sub without a degree then I highly recommend it to get a look at the job.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

Sign up to sub, go to school part time. You're young... go for it! A teacher on my campus got her first teaching job this past year. Eight years ago she was in my room as an aide. I told her she was too smart to be an aide the rest of her life and she needed to get her degree.

12. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

NJ, you only need 60 credits and the sub cert to sub.

I also agree with the need for ed coursework as well. The best thing you can do for yourself is to investigate the ed programs in your area, and find the one that works the best with your schedule.

As for the late bloomer, I am 42 and returning to school for my teaching certification. It is never too late.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

It is different in every district. In ours you only need 30 hours, and you take a sub training class.

I know of a district about 40 minutes from here that only requires a high school diploma. So it really does vary from place to place.

14. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

I did just what you did are thinking of doing . . . went back to school in my 30's to get a teaching degree. Last year was my first year teaching, and I LOVE it. In my opinion, subbing is a great route to go. As others on here have stated, it gives you an opportunity to try out the teaching field to see if it is what you expected. (Also, when I subbed, I got a lot of great ideas from different classrooms that I ended up using in my own). Good luck with your decision! :)

15. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 13, 2008

And to echo Mrs. K, I quit my job as an elementary teacher and got a degree in culinary arts when I was 40.

I re-entered the field of education, this time as a high school culinary arts instructor at age 46.