Just some friendly tips...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kcjo13, Jun 27, 2012.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2012

Some people. WTH is wrong with some people? Do people actually want jobs, or are they just going through the motions?

I was on an interview panel of 3 today, interviewing for a college level managerial position. After this eye-opening experience, I have some tips:

DO know the name of the institution you are interviewing for. If you are interviewing for, say, Olympia University, DON'T repeatedly call it the Olympic.

With all due respect, if you are interviewing for a position in which you will have to converse with students, business leaders, and other institutions, you should be able to speak English. Well. Telling us that "talkin' ain't really my thing" doesn't do much for your prospects.

When asked this question by your future boss, "If I told you that you had to enforce a policy you don't agree with, what would you do?" -- DON'T tell him that you would probably just not do it. I understand that you might not like it, but at least try to convince him that you would attempt to do it.

AND, my favorite:

When your future boss calls you to offer you the job, DON'T tell him that you are shopping and will call him back. Then, DON'T wait 36 minutes to actually call him back. Then, DON'T argue with him over your start date, especially when he is trying to squeeze you in at the end of the FY, so that you get thousands in bonuses.

Just some friendly tips...:dizzy:

3. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Oh, my gosh. I am so sorry you had to deal with that but...HAHAHAHAHAHA. :wow:

Thanks for the tips!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Wow!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Sheesh! May I ask why this person was hired? Was her response a surprise to you all, or was she simply the best of the worst?

6. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Also:

Don't show up wearing cutoff jeans.
    Do not reek of alcohol.
    Try to act minimally interested in the company and the job.

These were a few of the interviews that I had.

I can't imagine the person that was shopping was still offered the position.

I tell my students that they will one day be competing for jobs with the same people that are in their classes. One of the important factors in getting the job will be based on attitude and behavior. That based on how many of their classmates act, that they should feel confident in standing out as a great applicant for the position.

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

Seriously? :wow:

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2012

Was the offer rescinded? Please say it was.

9. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I thought you were going to give us some tips? Oh, that's right, these are for people who have no common sense whatsoever! The sad thing is, these people populate the workplaces of America and you wonder how in the world they even got the job in the first place. It also makes me sick that these people get jobs and someone like me, who is street smart and does possess and actually uses common sense can't even sniff a job offer. :dunno:

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 27, 2012

So THIS is why it took me so long to get a job! Thanks!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

Wow.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Based on the way my classes/students have changed over the years, I suspect it only going to get worse.......

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

So was she actually hired....how are you leaving us hanging?!?

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2012

It boggles the mind about how some people just don't THINK before they open their mouths. It's a shame that they blew their interviews due to lack of common sense, and not prepared with the right responses.:(
    So sad...
    Rebel1

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

I often wonder what has changed society so much that we see adults acting with very little common sense or responsibility...has it been the abundance of adult activity exposure for our children due to advances in technology?...Have we, as the parents of these young people, abdicated our responsibilities to raise respectable, clear thinking adults?...Or is it a general decline in a societies value system due to evolution of world societies? Just wondering...

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

This. Too many parents want to be 'nice' and 'friends' with their child. Our kids are coddled and entitled. I can ALWAYS tell when I have a student that has older parents. They are held accountable for things.

Not ALL parents are like this, but the majority definitely are.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Wow!

kc---I apologize to you for having to sit through those interviews.

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 28, 2012

Oh my! Well, here's hoping the competition I had for the interview I went to on Monday had similar character traits :).

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

Yes. The shopper actually interviewed fairly well, but just had a huge issue with start date. OK, I can understand that in some cases, but you are CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED. Fit it in your schedule. Sheesh.

Beyond this interview, I really don't have a lot of contact with this position. Good.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

Oh, and to clarify...this was not a case of "young person syndrome". This was an experienced professional (and I use that term loosely).

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2012

("'Professional what?'" TG murmured, picking canary feathers out of her teeth.")