just saw this..ugh SO ANNOYING!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roseteacher12, Feb 11, 2009.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Feb 11, 2009

I know articles like this have been discussed before but in case anyone else wants to vent I just saw this on aolnews:

A recent CNN poll finds that nearly 60% of Americans believe we're likely facing a depression. Although most Americans would, of course, suffer in an economic depression, some careers should remain strong, maybe even bolstered by tough times.

2. Education. Even in the recent tough times, our political leaders are calling for increased education spending and voters continue to pass education bonds.
    Community colleges should also thrive. Unable to land a good job, many people will return to school for retraining. Even those with college degrees will turn to community colleges because they typically offer practical career-related training and at an affordable price.

seriosuly where do these people get their information??! edcuation jobs are NOT booming right now! ugh ugh ugh

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

This kind of stuff makes me mad. What idiots! Yes, really, where are they getting this information?? It's just plain wrong for them to be presenting this as factual!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

They obviously don't know how many teachers are working outside of education, or sitting at home because they can't get a job in education. So, MORE people are going to get certification and add to the already many teachers vying for a teaching job? NICE!

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 11, 2009

First of all, we're in a recession — not a depression! While it *may* feel like a depression, it's not.

Secondly, I don't think they're talking about education jobs thriving. I think they're talking about increased spending where education is concerned and how community colleges thrive in terms of student enrollment. It further states that those who can't eventually land a job, even those with Bachelor's and Master's, will most likely go back to or enroll in a community college for the first time so that they can earn an Associate's of Applied Science in something like Automotive Technology or what have you so that they can get into something that's doing well right now and make money.

I know that auto mechanics and auto body technicians are doing really well right now because of the fact people aren't purchasing new cars at the moment. Instead, they're trying very hard to maintain the cars they DO have.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

In my area, 100+ teachers on annual contracts will be cut from the school system next school year. Despite the fact that they are opening a new middle school.

Every day I hear from students I tutor or work with that their teacher is sitting at the desk, assigning them busy work while they play in the computer or talk on the phone.

The newspaper keeps reporting that we need "highly qualified, excellent teachers" right next to articles about how the district is losing $20 million dollars.

I come with excellent references, experience, and I actually work with the kids... yet like so many other qualified, hard-working, enthusiastic people on this board, I can't find a job.

Wonder when the media will start reporting it like it is.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

I don't think ANY business or career path is booming right now. Our budget is being cut about 2.5 million and we will be losing a bunch of teachers and admins.

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Feb 12, 2009

i do see that this is kind of the way they are saying things. howevere the actual title of the article was something like "11 jobs that are thriving" or something to the effect. totally misleading

9. palla

palla Companion

Feb 12, 2009

True, but that is the media. What the title is and what the article says are often very different. Just look at any magazine cover. You will see great topics, but when you read the actual article, it is often not what is advertised on the cover. The goal is not to convey accurate information; it is to sell more.

10. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Feb 12, 2009

I saw it the way Suburban Gal did.
    Maybe the article was strongly suggesting that community colleges will face enrollment increases (which they are currently enjoying) due to people looking for new vocations/professions after being laid off.
    While this might suggest that there may be more teaching/professorships opening up in the community college arena, it doesn't necessarily suggest the there will a huge need for public school teachers. At least I hope that's not what they're suggesting!

11. Suburban Gal

Feb 12, 2009

Isn't that just sad?

I'm starting to think this is strictly an experience thing. (I'm basing this off my experience and from what smalltowngal has posted here.) If you go up against other people for teaching and/or para jobs and they have more classroom experience than you, you're automatically taken out of the picture and they offer it to one of the people who has more experience than you. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact they're more apt to retain that person than they are you. And in these tough economic times, it saves them from having to hire as much.

Is it fair? No. But such is life!

12. Suburban Gal

Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, that's kinda the way I took it. That the biggest opportunity for teaching right now would be in the community colleges due to the number of people going in to acquire A.A.S. degreees.

I disagree. It's totally booming at the Saturn dealership I go to for service. I used to be able to get Saturday appointments for my routine service maitenance. Now, I have to go during the week because they're always booked on Saturdays. They told me if I wanted a Saturday, I'd have to book at least a month in advance. :eek:

When I spoke to the receptionist a couple of visits ago, she told me everyone was trying very hard to maintain the cars they currently have because they couldn't really afford new ones. And it makes sense when you look at car sales as a whole and how dealerships have struggled to move cars off the lots.

Saturn's hourly rate for servive work is like $60. Or it was rather. That was like 10 or so years ago. It may be more. Auto mechanics and auto body repair folks make out like bandits.

I found the original title. It's "13 Hot Jobs in Hard Times".

13. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

Let me put it this way....in our district, I would NOT want to be a first year teacher!

14. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I always have to chuckle when I see those articles that tout teaching as a booming profession in high demand. I almost feel like the authors are just recycling the articles from a few years ago (back when teaching was an in demand career) and are just too lazy to do the leg work to check their facts...

15. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Feb 16, 2009

I can say from experience that if the education sector is "booming" it sure isn't showing in terms of hiring where I live! LOL

I'm getting ready to begin a Master's program in adult education and training. I'm certified to teach secondary (6th-12th) level biology in my district, and I'm getting ready to add a middle grades science certification as well, I figure it can't hurt to supplement things with the ability to teach in the local community/tech colleges. I'm at the point that when the tide does begin to turn and teachers are needed on all levels, I want to have every advantage I can!

16. Suburban Gal

Feb 16, 2009

One of my mom's co-workers is getting her Master's in that too! Hopefully, there's jobs in that area to be had.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2009

Are you anywhere near enough credits to teach Chem or Physics instead of middle grades? It's always impossible to find Chem and Physics teachers!