just sad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherfan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

Went to a sub orientation at a local district today and spoke to someone in HR about getting a "real" job. There are none :banghead:. She said to keep applying everywhere, sub in all the districts I can, and wait out the recession. It was an all day orientation and now that I am home I am just feeling sad. I don't know what else to do to get a job that I am not already doing....and that everyone else is doing.

:beatdeadhorse: (this smiley is so perfect)

3. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Hang in there. I'm frustrated as well.

4. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I feel your pain.

5. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Well look on the bright side, at least you can still sub for awhile. It's really tough to get a teaching job but hang in there. I'm on the same boat.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

:)
    What state are you in? Yes, we are hearing all over that there are teacher shortages and THEN, bam recession. And all the teacher jobs are GONE. Hmmmm... Sounds like a surplus of teachers. I would HANG IN THERE. I hear that things pick up and one of those last minute jobs open up soon. KEEP THE FAITH!:rolleyes:

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

There hasn't been a teacher shortage in years.:sorry: I don't know who keeps that myth out there but they are wrong...there may be areas in the country who have more job listings, and certainly big cities-(especially inner-city areas) who are usually looking for teachers...
    My only advice to job seekers would be to widen your search area, and get some kind of experience in schools/working with kids/volunteering. It's tough out there and the economy has made what was already a tough market even tighter...Sending you :hugs:

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

If subbing is all that's available for you this year, then make it the greatest experience possible. Learn something from every classroom you are in. Take notes on what you will do (and what you won't do) when you have a permanent position. Then next year, put all of that experience into your resume and you will be super ready for interviews.

9. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I wonder how many people in the orientation were actually certified vs people who weren't?

10. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I feel your pain teacherfan but at least you can still sub. In my area the laid off teachers are going to be the subs this year. I've been so focussed on getting a "real" job that I didn't even think about substitute opportunities being unavailable.

11. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I'm sorry too. I know you are very frustrated, but I am thinking positions will still open up. :)

12. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I'm sad too. I hope you are able to find something soon.

13. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

sad is just one of the emotions i feel on a daily basis!

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

Sorry ((hug)) Hope somethign better pans out for you

15. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Try to think of it this way: make yourself an awesome sub..then people will request you. Also, keep looking. Maybe you'll find something, or maybe you'll get called in for a long-term sub position or to replace someone who leaves. If you stand out as a sub, then you're higher up on the list for these options!

16. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

There were certified people at the orientation. The district says that they are not hiring anymore subs so I was lucky to get in when I did. This will be my fourth year subbing. I have done four long terms in that time and am just feeling discouraged! I am going to make the best of the year but everyone says next year will be even worse (I am in California)!

Thanks for your replies and support!

17. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I don't know how, but you need to get out of California. That state is going to have high unemployment for several more years before things start to turn around.

18. ereliz33

ereliz33 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I too am in California and I am trying to figure out how to get out. I think things are going to get better before they get worse and I do not want to continue with this stress, but I don't know where to go!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

The P I interviewed with today said last year they had 150 openings...this year, 52 openings with 2200 applicants. :eek:

20. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

STG--Wow! I was going to say I hope you're not in Texas--but then I remember you are!!!

21. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I am already signed up to be a sub this year again. I didn't have to do the orientation. Last year though I was in the 3rd wave of orientation sessions and 90% of the people were certified teachers. It was a fight every day to get a sub session. I just keep thinking I cannot do it again this year. I have so many loans :dizzy: I hate fighting for jobs.

22. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I feel your pain too. I've been applying all year (just got my certification last year.) I'm too old for this! In my early 40's. I still have my TA position. Just got a rejection letter today :(

I just feel like timing has not been on my side. For the past 7 years, my family and I have not had a break! My hubby was disabled so really we've been on a fixed income - we have not taken the kids on a real vacation for five years, our kitchen needs to be redone as so does our bathroom.

And sometimes, I feel that teaching isn't for me, but it's too late to try to change careers :(

23. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

No kidding, I'm considering a teacher aid position. I don't care much about the pay but I really want to work with the student. Let's hope it will get better.

24. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Also, I hate hearing the teachers in my district complain about $$ they get paid pretty well. And I get paid half their salary!

25. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Gosh mykids1 you had it tough. Don't worry about your age, my friend about your age and she gets a job.
    I really hope you can find something soon.

26. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks txnewbie. It has been a tough time. We are surviving, just not living in luxury. We've managed by the skin of our teeth. I mean I have to realize my kids our fed, clothed, sheltered. We don't live in a terrible place - I'd just like it to look better :) It's just that I didn't see myself in this situation back when I was in my 20's. My kids don't really complain about not going away - but it bothers me and my hubby - and we need a break!

Sorry I'm venting.....Thanks for "listening"