Just Resigned

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrs.oz, Jan 5, 2008.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 5, 2008

Hi everyone! I just resigned from teaching after 12 1/2 years. The last 4 1/2 were in Pre-K. I thought I would never leave teaching but just in the past 2 years I have reached burn out. The support is just not there anymore. Anyone else feel the same.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 5, 2008

I'm sorry you caught the burnout, mrs.oz. I hope you rejuvenate and get inspired by your time off from teaching.

4. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jan 6, 2008

I feel the support isn't there anymore either. I think a lot of it is the pressure of NCLB. That's all administration cares about anymore it seems -at the expense of students and teachers. Maybe this is just my district or my school?
    I'm sorry this happened to you - let us know how things go for you. I could see it happening to me if things don't get better. I'm interested to know what other grades you taught during your career.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 6, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that mrs. oz. You know what they say, when one door closes another opens.... I think the principal sets the tone for the school, ours is extremely supportive of everything we do, he would and has gone to bat for us many times. I think that's what makes all the difference. A few years ago I had an unsupportive principal and I felt hopeless and burned out too.
    We hope you will still stick around the boards. What are your plans now?

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 7, 2008

I was and aide in Kindergarten, an aide in third and I taught first grade and then Pre-K. I tried to transfer to middle school this year but the county is now interviewing all people even people who want transfers. There were 3 of us asking to transfer and they hired a new teacher instead.

7. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 7, 2008

I am studying for my Real Estate board right now and hope to go take it at the end of the month.
    I think what you said about the principal holds true. I did not start to feel this way until the current principal came in. She does not back the teachers at all. My aide just quit a month before I did. She has been with me for 4 1/2 years.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2008

Do most of you feel the need for recognition for jobs well done? How do you feel if no one is there to notice or reward you? Are you able to continue doing a great job?

9. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 7, 2008

The thing was they told me all the time that I was the best Pre-K teacher in the county but when it come time to get anything done like requesting a child to be tested they refused or if a parent came in and had a problem I was always wrong no matter what. So yeah, I think there are different ways of making you feel good. Even if someone tells you they need to show you that they value you or your opinion or make you feel like you know some of what you are talking about.

10. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

It isn't a matter of recognition, it's more the atmosphere in the school and the attitude of administration. The only thing that seems to matter is making AYP and meeting all NCLB mandates. This comes first, before the children's needs or anything else. This is frustrating when you know decisions are not being made for the good of the children, but for the sake of AYP, making the principal look good, etc.

11. mouseketeer45

mouseketeer45 New Member

Jan 7, 2008

ditto

I am turning in my resignation letter tomorrow to my principal after 12 years of teaching. The last ten years have been in Early Childhood Special Education. I have loved most of the years, just bearly survived some of the years and am now ready for a break. I think its a good thing when a teacher knows his/her ending point and doesn't make students, parents or fellow staff members endure working with an unhappy/burnt out teacher. Let's face it fellow teachers, we are human and there is a limit to what we can do. Most early childhood teachers are women and think they can change the world. I am happy to announce that I tried and made a dent, and I am happy with that!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2008

I agree with your comments and reasons. I feel the same way about where i am working. There is no one to really listen and make some changes. The problem in our area is, jobs are scarce and I feel stuck, as most of us do. It's aggravating for us to work so hard day after day and not feel appreciated. We're getting sick of it.

13. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 8, 2008

I am so glad that am not the only one that felt like this. I hope you find what you are looking for. I prayed very hard for the Lord to show me the right time and he did. So, what have you decided to do or are you going to just stay at home.

14. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 8, 2008

The money is not all that great either. If they want to keep teachers they are going to have to start paying them more money or lay off all the meetings and all the added things.

15. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jan 24, 2008

Did you turn in your resignation? How did that go?