Just received my student teaching placement!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MaxwellsMac, Nov 1, 2012.

1. MaxwellsMac

MaxwellsMac New Member

Nov 1, 2012

So I'm one of those mid-life career changers. I just finished the coursework for my Secondary Ed MAT, passed both Praxis exams and just received notice of which high school I'll be student teaching at in January. My content is English. I'm so excited and scared at the same time. I know it's normal to be anxious but I would truly appreciate any and all responses. :)

Although I just finished my education coursework and passed my Praxis exams, I feel like a teaching imposter. There's this uneasy feeling in my gut that the second I walk into the classroom everyone will know I'm not a "real" teacher but just some middle aged guy who should go back to whatever he was doing before. Do any of you remember feeling this way? What are some of your biggest pieces of advice for student teachers, particularly those who might be coming at it a little later in life such as myself. Thanks everyone! :)

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Nov 1, 2012

As a fellow career-changer who has now been teaching for seven years, I remember those student teaching experiences. Try to be as prepared as you can be, even over prepared.

But, keep in mind that not everything will go as you planned. You'll plan something that you think the kids will love and you'll probably get blank stares... Stay positive, and try not to get too nervous (and never let them see you sweat). Even if you have a bad day shake it off and don't get discouraged.

Know that it gets easier the more that you do it, it's a ton of work at the beginning but you will continue to grow more and more confident over time. But, you have already comments on the fact that you don't feel like a real teacher - my experience is that you will run into kids who will encourage that feeling...most no, but some will try to cause trouble. Don't let them get to you, just assert your authority as a "full" teacher...which you should act like as much as possible.

Good luck!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2012

I wasn't a career changer, but I was scared to death before my student teaching began. Honestly I was scared the whole time. I was barely four years older than the students and had never had ANY job in my life.

I did fine, but boy was I a mess on the inside.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 1, 2012

I did my student teaching when I was 33. It honestly made it easier for me to get the initial feeling of the classroom. The 7th graders were almost young enough to be my kids, so they automatically gave me a degree of deference. They will do the same for you. The trick will be to grow that into classroom authority. Good luck and have fun!

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 1, 2012

I felt like an imposter as well when I first began. Right now I just feel fairly green.

But everyone has to start somewhere. Once you begin getting some student teaching experience and other teaching experiences under your belt, you'll become more comfortable. =]

Good luck!

7. Giulietta

Giulietta Rookie

Nov 3, 2012

Well I have not gone through student teaching yet, but I have been in a classroom setting as a substitute, which is also terrifying. I've learned that being prepared is the best solution. Know all the rules of the school so the kids can't push you around and yes be firm, while still relating to them. I've made mistakes, misreading a lesson plan or not understanding it fully, I feel that after I go through the lesson once I am much more confident. Act out your lessons, it may be silly but then you won't be stumbling over your words. Also remember there are teachers there to help you, they have been where you are and a lot of times are willing to help.

Hope that helped and good luck :)

8. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

Glad to hear u are beginning this new phase of life. 3 things to remember:
    1) You can only do what you can do (you can't do everything right the first year
    2) Eat properly (Never forget breakfast!)
    3) Get proper amount of sleep

Best of luck!!
    :)

9. Math4life

Math4life Rookie

Nov 10, 2012

I am not a career changer but I am in the middle of my student teaching right now. I am a 7-12 Math person and I just finished my high school placement. The best advice that I can give you is.... Walk in like you own the place, at least when you are with the students. If you walk in and act like you are nervous, the students will run over you. You are going into another teachers classroom so don't run over the teacher, but act like you rule the classroom when the kids are in there. Be confident in yourself, that is key!