Just out of curiosity (Student Teaching)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by LambdaChi96, Feb 25, 2007.

1. LambdaChi96

LambdaChi96 Rookie

Feb 25, 2007

I have been student teaching for a few weeks now and things are getting better, however; I have another dilemma.

What can we, as student teachers, "ask" for from our Resident teachers? Im currently at a CSU doing 14 units plus student teaching everyday and while lesson planning and coming up with activities isnt a as hard as it used to be; constantly creating my own homework assignments DIFFERENT from the resident teacher is becoming slightly excessive. Forget about me, i feel like its sort of detrimental to the students. My resident teacher is a REALLY good teacher and Id much rather use her assignments than my own, not because mine are not "good enough" but because this late in the year, the students are used to her and her type of assignments.

Basically I dont see the need to reinvent the wheel every week. Also, it would make my life a little less hectic if I have options that are easily accessible, so i just wanted to know how it would look if I brought this up to my resident teacher. Im not trying to get out of doing extra work, its just that I cant. Unfortunately the CSU i go to is heavy on projects being turned in every week, and my master teacher requires new lesson plans every day (99% of other student teachers i talk to have told me their resident teachers dont require typed lesson plans every day) plus assignments, chapter over views, etc etc.

I just want to know where the line is, and how do I approach this in a professional manner? Everyone I have asked and talked to didnt know how to answer because their resident teachers pretty much spoon feed them everything, including lesson plans. I dont want to be spoon fed by any means, just given some assistance.

3. dendrite

dendrite Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

You're there to learn how to do, not to view. The professional thing to do is work hard, spend time, and apply any creativity you have toward making original lesson plans. It's only through evaluation of your students' reactions to your plans that you will learn to adjust, modify, and redo. By the way, you need to lose the "i" bit. Use "I" when using the first person, singular. The other is cutesy and does not earn anybody's respect.

4. LambdaChi96

LambdaChi96 Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

Thanks for the reply. But if I wanted a grammar lesson, I would have called my 5th grade teacher. Its the internet, relax. This should be the one place where the rest of us can come here and "relax."

i work hard
    and i like to relax and not have to be so formal and proper at the end of a 11 or 12 hour day.

Thanks for your reply anyway, although I think you misunderstood my question.

We are all in the same boat for the most part and should encourage one another and be understanding of each others plight. THEREFORE, there is no need to be condescending and pretentious.

You certainly won't earn any respect that way either. ;)

On another note, this dilemma of mine has been taken care of.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2007

HOnestly, I don't think threre IS professional way to say you would rather not do your work because your life is too hectic. I was up until 3 am with a sick child; it would make my life much less hectic not to go in today, or to just give my Seniors a study hall when I do. But I'm a professional-- I'm here to give my kids an education.

You're a student: you're there to learn, not to observe. You can't learn how to come up with good assignments by using someone else's. You can only learn to teach by teaching, not by observing someone else. (Think of all the time we've already spent in school over the years-- that certainly doesn't teach us how to teach.) So the "deterimental to the students" argument doesn't fly. If they're with a really good teacher, she'll ensure that she picks up any pieces after you leave. This is about you learning to teach.

And as to all that stuff your master teacher is requiring of you: your first principal is going to require similar stuff from you. So this is a tiny little intro to the real world of teaching. If the other student teachers aren't being required to do the same thing, they're getting shortchanged.

edited to add: re-reading this post several hours later, my tone seems much sharper than it did at 6am. I'm very sleep deprived at this point--those 2 hours of sleep last night simply didn't cut it. My apologies if I seem unnecessarily critical.

6. dendrite

dendrite Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

I apologize for my strong reaction to your question. :eek: I interpreted your desire to use your master teacher's lesson plans as laziness. The very few teachers among us who fail to fulfill their obligations give the rest of us a bad name. Since teaching falls short of a revered, respected profession, we can ill afford such examples in our midst. I'm relieved that you are not one of those. :)
    I didn't mean to administer a grammar lesson. My own grasp of the subject is minimal at best. We have a teacher at my school who uses "i" instead of "I" in all of her emails and her correspondence to parents. She comes off as a twit to everyone. It's a shame because I've watched her teach a couple of times and she's really quite good. I just didn't want you to fall, unknowingly, into the same trap.

7. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Feb 28, 2007

Well, I think that taking that much of a courseload AND student teaching is crazy - do you have to do that? How do you find the time?

When I ST, I didn't have any classes, just life - and it was still incredibly difficult. My teachers didn't even require me to turn in lesson plans!

I do agree that we all need to suck it up a bit when STing, but I agree that you should not have to reinvent the wheel every day. At this point though, you may need to keep doing what you are doing unless she offers some help - if she does, I would take it. Good luck!

8. LambdaChi96

LambdaChi96 Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

Unfortunately my courseload is mandatory because of the track I am in.

Im not trying to get out of doing work. I know my question came across that way but thats not my intention. I guess I should have known it was going to come across that way.

To be honest...

Im just really tired. When I wrote that post, I was just overwhelmed and needed to write "something." I have learned to manage my time a little better and I figure as long as I manage to say 2 days ahead lesson wise, I should be fine.

Anyway 13 MORE WEEKS of this, and then next year I have my own classroom. I just need to be in my own element. Ive always been a go-getter type and Ive always done my own thing, so trying to emulate someone elses style and do what they do for 4 months is very foreign to me. Anyway, I do agree...be a man and "git-r-done." Haha.

No more dumb posts from me.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2007

Hey..... we're all guilty of being tired and posting something in a way we later regret (scroll up and see what I added to mine!)

That's one of the cool things about this forum-- we've all been there and know what it's like. So while we offer opinons on a situation, the people here tend not to form quick opinions of the poster.

That said, how's the job hunt going??

10. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Mar 1, 2007

Personally, I didn't see your post as trying to get out of work at all. STing is tough and even when you are a teacher, you are not going to reinvent the wheel if you don't need to.

And to be honest, as a teacher, I am trying to find ways to cut down my work all the time - it is called time managment. There is no way for me to possibly get everything done - I have to find shortcuts/share lesson plans/tests etc.

Don't feel guilty about that!

11. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Mar 1, 2007

For me, being a first year teacher is a LOT harder than student teaching was- so I hope for your sake that is not true for you!

12. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

Of course your first year is a lot harder. You are the only grown-up in the room. You also get a taste of all the other STUFF in which teachers are routinely buried. The stakes are higher, and it's all up to YOU.

The good news is it gets a LOT easier after that first year.

13. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Mar 1, 2007

Yes, I'm starting to get used to it, and actually starting to like it a little!

14. LambdaChi96

LambdaChi96 Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

I know that it gets harder next year planning wise...I guess what really bothers me is the "baby-sitting" by my resident teacher. I cant wait to have my own class where I can use my own style, etc. I just feel cramped more than anything. But anyway, thanks for all the support everyone.