Just Ordered the Comprehension Toolkit Bundle...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2010

...Ensure me I am crazy for throwing practically $180.00 down the hole. This is essentially all I have purchased for my classroom this summer, so I shouldn't be all that concerned. Everything looks like amazing quality, though, and it comes with the mentor texts that accompany the lessons.

I am excited, I really am. Also, who has used it?

http://www.comprehensiontoolkit.com/grade3_6/default.asp

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

Let me know how it goes! I'm thinking about getting it.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

our district bought everyone the comprehension toolkit and I've heard good things about it. Everytime I have thought about looking through it it did not address the comprehension standard we were working on. I hope to get more use out of it this year because I have heard its good.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

I use my comprehension toolkit all of the time. I have the upper-elementary one, and even though it says it goes through sixth grade, there are many things I can use (or adapt with harder text) if necessary. I've had great success with the lessons (especially when I was just starting out teaching comprehension strategy lessons). It's nice because you have everything right there in one place. You don't have to go chasing down text for a particular lesson.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

hmm, now that is interesting. In the early grades one you do have to look for a book.

7. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

My district bought us all the toolkit (without the mentor texts). My only complaint is that I have to hunt down the books needed for each lesson and it's frustrating because 36 other teachers need the same book on the same week.
    But it sounds like yours came with all the mentor texts, so that's great!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2010

Yes, I purchased the bundle that came with the books. It was just very pricey. It's all I have purchased this summer for my classroom. My classroom theme decor is going to consist of awesome, recycled stuff. :)

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

If it makes you feel any better, I shelled out for Ralph Fletcher's Teaching the Qualities of Writing set for 96 bucks last week when the vendor was at my Illinois Writing Project site.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2010

I guess so. ;) All I have from Ralph Fletcher are two little paperback books in the reference section of my classroom: the Writer's Notebook and something about boys writing. Don't get me dreaming about bigger stuff from him... :) :)

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

His new book Pyrotechnics on the Page is pretty good, and I used his Lessons for the Writer's Notebook quite a bit last year. It's good stuff.

I think you'll really like the Comprehension Toolkit. It's really practical, and since you also got the book bundle, it's super easy to use.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2010

Pyrotechnics on the Page sounds really AWESOME. What have you enjoyed from it? I also thought it would be neat to create firecracker decor pencils. Shows my exhaustion. :) Exhaustion, exhaustion, exhaustion.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

Our school has them and I like using them! :)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

15. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

16. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

You know my thoughts on this already V! Any who... Ralph Fletcher's kit is also amazing! I use most of his lessons all through out the year. They are great for organizing, adding voice and style, and so much more to your student's writing.

17. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Is this just for nonfiction? It looks great but I don't do a ton of nonfiction reading. I wish I did but we have to use the basal and then I run out of time.

18. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Our district purchased the comprehension toolkit for all of the intermediate teachers a couple of years ago. I love it. The lessons are fantastic - very easy to follow, as well as to modify. The only criticism I have is that the lessons are extremely lengthy. One toolkit lesson can easily be an hour long. As a teacher who is trying to cut down the time I spend doing whole-group instruction, this is a little bit of an issue! : )

As far as cost goes, you will definitely get you money's worth. It's really that good.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2010

I went into my blueprint lesson plans and kind of set up a schedule... not to teach specific lessons, but just when I would teach mini-lessons from this set. I think I may spend 2-3 days on a lesson, just pulling in different resources to compliment.

Thinking about Ralph Fletcher gets me excited as well... he is superior. Maybe that will be next summer... or sometime this year, if I get stoked enough. :)

20. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

I often take one of those lesson ideas and break it down over several days so that it doesn't eat up my whole workshop time.

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2010

A school near me "piloted" the kit and they saw their scores skyrocket. My school ordered these kits for all 3-5 teachers this year, but I think I'm going to accept that other job offer so I won't get to use them :(

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2010

Maybe you'll get the chance sometime. I am excited for you accepting the third grade position... you'll have a wonderful time. I am excited to hear about scores and skills skyrocketing! :)