Just not for me

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Elcsmith, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 20, 2008

Okay, so I've read a lot of posts on here about people in bad schools with little support and so on. That is not my case. I work in a very good school with a ton of support. Administration is wonderful and I LOVE my team but I just don't think teaching is for me.

Working with the kids was the part I enjoyed and it's such a small fraction of what we do. I don't even enjoy that fraction now. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells around the kids to keep their parents from exploding. I feel like I'm constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure there's nobody there watching for me to do something wrong. I just don't feel good. I'm not looking forward to going to school in the morning and I'm not looking forward to seeing my students. Now once I see them I'm pretty happy!

I feel like I'm constantly racing the clock....only to find myself losing the race. I leave school anxious about what else I could have done today. I reach my limits as far as work goes but it's never enough.....it's not enough for administration, it's not enough for the kids, it's not enough for the parents but all I can seem to say is ENOUGH!

Opinions please....do I need to just step back and realize teaching is not for me or is it (as my peers say) just that time of year. I'm incredibly discouraged!:(

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2008

It is certainly important to keep in mind that it is that time of year. I encourage you to keep an open mind until the end of the year, and then re-evaluate things.

With that having been said, I don't feel like how you've described. I love spending time with the kiddos. Even though I do a lot of outside prep work, attend meetings and professional development, and fill out a ton of paperwork, I don't usually feel overwhelmed. I certainly don't feel like I'm walking on eggshells or waiting for the other shoe to drop or any other idiom that would be appropriate here.

You say that you have a lot of admin support, but I wonder if that's really true given your concerns about people watching to see if you mess up. What is giving you that feeling?

4. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 20, 2008

I'm not sure...maybe just my own insecurities! Please don't get me wrong...I love the kids! I really do...and once they are in front of me I enjoy them....but the thought of them doesn't get me excited like it did before. All of the other "stuff" overshadows them. UGH again.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

How many years have you been teaching? This is definitely a stressful time of year. For me it's 2 1/2 weeks before state testing and we are not even close to the point we are supposed to be according to previous years and the state. I've had 4 six weeks with these kids, including the 4 that do everything they can to disrupt class and cause trouble. Stress is a real thing that you can touch right now. If you have been feeling this way for a while (meaning before this year even started) then it might be something you would really want to talk to others about. If it's a fairly new issue, though, I would say give it time. Last year was a dream year for me. Strong kids, hard workers, best behavior EVER. This year is the worst. That change has made this not a year I need to measure anything by. Good luck!!!

6. nteacher

nteacher Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

I feel ya!

I have been feeling similar! I love the kids and usually love the job, but all of a sudden all of it is overwhelming. I think I remember feeling this way last year, too, so I'm sure it will pass. But, I'm glad to hear someone else is in the same boat.

And I cringed at the response that said, "I love being with the kiddos!" I know that you do, as do I. It's not that at all. I say....stick it out...I'm sure as time goes on we'll relax more and feel more confident

7. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Feb 20, 2008

Well this is my 1st year and I think it's just the time of the year. The other day, the new teachers had lunch with the Director of Instruction and the Super. The Super. said that this is the time of the year where you feel very overwhelmed and stressed. I'm like you, I always think about what else could I have done, am I getting enough done, etc. I always stay over an hour later everyday and still feel like I dont get everything accomplished. I think it just comes with being a new teacher and trying to prepare everything. I kinda feel that once I have done it a year, i will feel more comfortable and will be able to enjoy teaching the kids more. Just dont get discourage yet!

8. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

I'm a first year teacher, too. I was sooo stressed out during the first quarter, but I've started to settle down. Part of the reason is because my team is so helpful. They are always showing me ways to cut down on the amount of after-school work you have to do.

Lately, I've been feeling ... discouraged, I guess. Big tests are coming and I'm afraid I haven't taught my kids well enough. Fun time is disappearing as every moment seems to be geared toward test prep. I just hate that. But more experienced teachers keep promising that it gets better when you have more experience under your belt. They also say it's normal to feel down during the third quarter. The real fun comes in the last quarter, they say, when most testing is behind you, and you get to spend luxurious hours on exciting projects and experiments.

And I keep reminding myself of this: my teacher friends say by summer, I'll be dying to come back next year, armed with all my knowledge gained from the first year.

I think they are right, and I bet it will be the same for you. I hope you give it at least another year before making any major decisions.

All the best to you!