Just need to vent...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Jan 5, 2012

Yes, I look young and inexperienced. Yes, my career began just over 18 months ago. Yes, I taught another grade last year. Yes, I was surplussed 8 weeks into this school year and was forced to restart at a different school. Does any of this mean that I lack the capacity to teach? No. I am a well educated adult that is losing my patience with parents that call the office to complain about me and my teaching without coming to me first. I am the last to leave the building every day. I am tired. I am trying. Please cut me some slack rather than demand that I let you into my room so that you can "observe" your student. Please just trust me. I hate being judged for every instructional decision I make just because I am the youngest teacher on the grade level. I am only 1 year behind the next teacher on the totem pole, but about 15 years younger. None of this is fair and there is no reason for anyone to make it more of a burden for me. :mad: I should not be this mad on a Thursday afternoon!
    Whew! Thanks.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2012

I'm sorry that you are feeling like this. It is definitely difficult when you have parents who are micromanaging what you are doing. But at least tomorrow is Friday!

If you need someone to talk to, send me a PM.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 5, 2012

Been there, done that!

I was 23 years old when I first started teaching. I can clearly remember that on the first day of my teaching career, several parents went to the office because they wanted their child to have an older, more experienced teacher. My principal didn't honor their requests, and in the end, the parents ended up loving me as their child's teacher.

I totally empathize with what you're going through. Hang in there--it'll get better.

HUGS!!! :hugs:

5. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 5, 2012

I understand as well. I'm 27 but look 20 (so I'm told.) This is my 2nd year teaching. During my first meet the teacher last year I had parents who were harsh with me and grilled me upon our first meet. There was little respect between some of them toward me in the beginning.
    This past year was a bit easier at meet the teacher as I gained a reputation. Though some of the parents who were new to our school had trouble taking me seriously.

If I moved to a new school I imagine it would begin all over again. It can be very frustrating, I know.

Hang in there!

6. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 5, 2012

It's hard to look young. i just have a sense of humor about it with the parents, students, any my coworkers. I take my job seriously and just show that I really do know what I'm doing. Try not to take it personally, although I know that may be difficult.

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jan 5, 2012

Unfortunately, people sometimes equate age with knowledge/experience. If they see someone young, they make an assumption that the person is not as qualified as someone older. We do it with other professionals like doctors and lawyers, too.

If you think your age (or appearance of youthfulness) is causing you to be treated with less respect, then consider making yourself look older in your manner of dress, hairstyle, etc.

Should you have to change your appearance to be respected? I don't know for sure, but it worked for me. I took a position at an all-male high school with a staff that was predominately men. As a female, even though I was older, I wanted to be noticed and respected for my work ethic, not my feminity. During my first two years, I wore slacks, flats, and blazers in grays, browns, and blacks. I don't think I put on a pink shirt until my third year. It worked for me, and I now wear whatever I want.