Just me?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Nisey, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Oct 24, 2005

Is it just me or is everyone feeling extra tired these days? Some days I feel like I've been run over by the Brinks truck. The past few days my head has been spinning. I don't think this should be happening so early in the school year. And my report cards are due next week so that they can be sent home on the ninth. I was wiped by first recess (10:15) this morning. Is anyone else in the same boat? :p

3. SYMBOLSTeacher

SYMBOLSTeacher Rookie

Oct 24, 2005

I'd agree, but I am too tired to respond...:)

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2005

I had to come home and take a nap during lunch! ;)

5. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 24, 2005

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2005

So true...all of us are feeling this way! I said at school the other day that I take some small comfort from the fact that I am not the only "loser" who is going to bed before my children most nights, but I am hoping that something will "give" soon and I can get some more energy.

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 25, 2005

Is is the weather? We have had days of constant rain here, and when it is dark like this I want to go to bed. We need the sun!

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2005

I can't wait til Thanksgiving. I get 5 days off. Hooray! I work 55 hours a week with my kids and I only have gotten the holidays off so far...and I also work through the summers being in pre-k. I am also taking a vacation in December between Christmas and New Years. And I am not going anywhere, just enjoying my house all to myself!!!

I'm with wild things up there...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 25, 2005

Eat some food with vitamin C. Get your flu shot. Stay healthy for the upcoming cold and fu season.

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 25, 2005

I've been feeling extra tired and stressed lately. I am usually not tired and stressed this much until spring. But two years ago (fall/winter) and now this year the slight "depression" has hit early. I take a nap almost daily. The nap has also been lasting for several hours, then I sleep through the night. Sleeping that much is not like "me." I used to be able to get by on four to six hours sleep and I was fine. Anything more even a nap and my head hurt so bad I couldn't do anything. Both time's I've had a yo-yo cold, with the congested head, chest, nose--and the leaky faucet nose.
    As the temperature gets colder I've noticed the kids are more antsy. (I now know why my teachers hated the snow and the rain when it kept us indoors).

11. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Oct 25, 2005

It's the endless rain! I'm Beginning to understand seasonal disorder.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 25, 2005

Me too. I am struggling to keep awake at 3 in the afternoon! Time for some coffee I think.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 25, 2005

I think it's the weather. None of us are getting enough exercise which in turn is making us tired. I usually go for a walk in the afternoons but haven't been able to with all this rain. Thinking I should join a gym.
    Oh and I have bronchitis so that is fun! I coughed all afternoon.
    YUCK

14. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2005

The weeks seem soooooooooooooo long and the weekends so quick. We also feel like we are all dragging.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2005

I've just caught my second cold this year...........yuck! And I've been doing so good with the hand washing, and wiping down, etc. I think it is a carry over though from my sinus infection. I finished the meds, but I don't think it was all cleared up! :(
    I am just really tired..........need sleep!

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 25, 2005

I've been napping the past couple weeks for an hour or two almost every night. I've been blaming the fatigue on pregnancy hormones, but everyone at my school has been saying the same thing. We are having our first cold snap, so that could be part of it. This morning I had two kids wear shorts to school and the thermometer in my car read 36 degrees which is super cold for our part of the world.

17. Mom2Sarah

Mom2Sarah Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

The teachers at my school are all tired too. Just keep looking on the bright side of things, first quarter is behind us and Thanksgiving break will be here soon. Don't forget to take mental health day if you need it. I call in that I have an appoint for my daughter. Then I take the day off, keep her home from daycare and recover from my busy life. It may not be honest but it keeps me in good spirits.

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2005

Just got done with strep.

I am so tired my bags under my eyes have their own set of luggage.

The dark circles are getting baaad.
    Today my ears were plugged during my math block and I really felt as though I was in a different world.
    Help.

19. aussiejenjen

aussiejenjen Rookie

Oct 27, 2005

We are week 2 of our 4th term! Just had our 2 week break, and already I am exhausted! Yesterday I found myself falling asleep at the computer!!
    So, I think it 'aint' just an American 'epidemic' lol, it's spread to the land down under too... LOL!!!
    oh, and speaking of that.. I think it is time for a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2005

I thought I was over my cold and pushed myself too hard, and it came back with a vengence. I couldn't really even get out of bed all day, I went to work this evening but I'm losing my voice, not great since I'm basically a telemarketer. And now I'm about to go to bed again, even though I've really only been up about six hours. Hopefully I know everything for my Anthropology midterm tomorrow, there's no way I can stay up long enough to get any studying done...Well, at least I know this tiredness and slight depression isn't just me...

21. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 28, 2005

What's bad is staying after to "get a few things done" (so I'm not bogged down later....this is my sixth week in & I'm still organizing the classroom, learning the ropes as to paperwork, ect.) And then driving home (only 15-20 min) & thinkin' "I need to pull over & nap!" And I'm with you Kinderkids! I've been so diligent with hand washing & scrubbing the room & toys & yet, yet, those germies found me somehow! Arghhh!

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 28, 2005

I feel for all of you. This is just way too early for the winter blahs and aches and pains. Now that the hurricane has passed, why don't you all come to sunny Florida? Ruth will put you up, I'm sure! (Or you can sleep on my couch.)

I envy the hot cocoa, sledding, picture perfect scenes, warming up before a fire. But the rest? No thanks.

Getting enough rest really is a must - especially for working parents who literally hold down two or more jobs. Students, too.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 29, 2005

Well that's nice that you live so close to be able to relax at home. I wouldn't feel like going back out!

I'm just a student teacher, but I have hectic weeks at times too. This week was incredibly hectic! I'm doing student teaching M-F, working on 2 credentials & a Master's & looking for a part-time job, since I can't sub right now because of the student teaching. It's harder & harder to get part-time work these days, unless you want to work in retail or a fast food place. They usually want full time. Right now, I'm trying to get a job at this hotel that's newly built. I'm so over qualified for these types of jobs, but the employers being able to work around my school schedule has prevented me from getting the ones I've interviewed for. Several months ago, I ended a good PT job. I'd still be there if the whole facility hadn't closed resulting with 1000+ people losing their jobs.

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, thats the one good thing about being in the dorms is that I can go home and rest even if I only have a few minutes. I've perfected the five minute nap! ;)
    Now if only my head wasn't so clogged up and I could just lie down. I've been sleeping sitting up all week because as soon as I lie down I can't breathe...at least all three of my roommates are out so maybe I'll get some peace and quiet!!!:)

behsci, good luck on the job search, I was lucky enough to find a perfect one for this semester, it ends two days before my flight home for Thanksgiving. But there was about a month there where I was getting worried! I'm from such a small town I was just always given jobs, the whole looking idea was so scary...

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

Danny's Nanny, you sound so committed and focused (not to mention loving and compassionate) that I know you will have a great career.

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

JenJen,
    How does your school year work over there? Do you go all year round with breaks every so many weeks?

27. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2005

Thanks Upsadaisy! :)

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

I've been in bed most of the day with a sinus infection. Yuk. After being out of school all week (hurricane) we return Monday - and will have our usuall all-day Halloween festivities. Double yuk. So, I have to go in tomorrow to get ready. Oh my aching forehead!

29. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Oct 29, 2005

I have been feeling this way too....Trying to get extra sleep is almost pointless because when I am this stressed I can't sleep well at all.

I am the only one who just plain can't wait to resign??? I would even do it in the middle of the school year at this point...just working to make my business as profitable as need be before I hand in a letter. I've read articles saying that more and more teachers are resigning for the reason of increasing stress.

I know I am not going to have a heart attack and a compromised life because of a silly job and it seems the more I excell at it, the more special responsibilities and committees the boss puts me on, which makes everythign worse.

Alicia :)

30. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

daisy, do you get them often??? I fear I have come down with one again.....or it is just flaring up after not having gotten rid of it the first round of antibiotics. Mine is the Maxillary sinus.....under my cheekbone into the teeth....I've had the headache for five days......I'm about ready to chop my head off. Ugh........it will be a trip to immediate care tomorrow for me. I just wish I would stop getting these......they really are debilitating.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

I haven't had one in a long time, actually. Thankfully. Yours sounds awful. Maybe a new antibiotic will help. I knew this one was coming on several days ago but then I felt better. It is between my eyes mostly. I pinch together the bridge of my nose and it seems to help the pain. Hope you get yours under control.

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

Kinder and Daisy sorry you are both sick! Kinder I used to get a sinus infection two to three times a year. Then I started getting allergy shots and I haven't had one since! Maybe you should go be tested for allergies. Oh and I take allegra everyday. Or did until a month ago when they tried to give me generic at the pharmacy. I haven't made it in to the allergist yet to get them to right me out a prescription that says allegra only no generic stuff.

33. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Oct 30, 2005

Maybe its all these crazy weather fronts that are coming through. What with the hurricanes back to back and cold fronts in between and all of you who are upnorth are being slammed with all that rain.... We got 12 inches of nonstop rain in 2.5 days with Katrina!
    ugh I can sympathize with all of you. This is day 7 on this horrible antibiotic that I am taking. The aftertaste and heartburn is enough to make me want to quit taking them, but then my 5 week long and counting sinus infection will come back with the Montazuma's revenge....
    I have forgotten what its like not to have my face hurt so bad,that it really does feel like an alien pushing out.... ::eek::
    I guess I 'll relay what the urgent care doc told me.... make sure you are getting lots of extra sleep and rest and all the veggies and fruit you can eat.... Yeah, like any of us have any time TO slow down. Well, take care of yourselves, and hopefullly this "sinus/ sick" season will be over soon.

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 30, 2005

Hey Munch,
    That stinks that you have it to. Have you tried taking acidophilus with a couple time of that. That might help your stomach out a some.
    Well I hope you feel better soon.