Just landed a first grade job in NYC!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nyteach89, Jul 18, 2014.

1. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

Hi everyone!! I haven't posted in a while, but I got offered a first grade teaching position this week!!! I am so excited but nervous because I have no idea where to start. I have a little over a month until I have to report for a summer workshop, but I want to start thinking of things now!

I need advice! Where should I start first? What should I be doing now?

3. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

Congrats!

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

That's great Congratulations :)

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2014

Congrats! In what area will you be teaching?

6. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Start with decorations haha, probably the least important thing, but it's the most fun! Next go on TPT and print lots of free activities! Then you have to start thinking of things like Centers set up, Classroom jobs, what you want on bulletin boards...etc

7. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

I think the most important thing is a solid classroom management plan, especially considering this is first grade. Have your rules and expectations set from the beginning. I think this is even more important than planning lessons --- I say this because I personally believe that lessons and content are impossible to teach without control of the class....

After that, I would do my best to get the first 2 - 3 weeks set up. If you have time... 2-4 weeks. Figure out the notes that you want to send home to parents and figure out things such as homework and your classroom library.

I think there is A LOT of value spending time in the hallway "learning how to walk" and A LOT of value practicing how to stand up and sit down. Others might disagree but I use the first month to lay out my expectations.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

Congrats!

9. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Very cool! Congratulations!!!!
    Sheilah

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

Awesome! You are going to do an fantastic job!!

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

Congratulations!

I'd get really familiar with the CC standards for 1st grade. If you are in a DOE school, I think all of them have adopted Go Math as their math curriculum and most have taken on Ready Gen as their ELA program. If possible, I'd ask if you could be given copies of the teacher guides to review the next few weeks. Go Math especially can take some getting used to.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

Congratulations! Don't forget to add yourself to the job list!

13. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

From a fellow NYC new hire, congratulations!

Did you get your nomination yet? The most important thing to do is to finish your paperwork and to get processed.

But yes, what I'm doing since I didn't get my curriculum materials and not planning on getting my supplies until August (rather wait till I go to Long Island because supplies there are CHEAPER!) is creating a classroom management plan. You may develop an amazing curriculum, but things can go south if all your students wreak havoc in your own classroom! So that's what I've been doing during my time of waiting (well, also being kept busy with my online early childhood course and reading a novel I have to read for my school. So much work!!!!

Also, I'd suggest making a list of supplies you'll need. Also think of what charts to make for your behavior management plan and whatever else you can do. There's lots of fun things you can do before you receive your curriculum materials.

But yea, nomination stuff first!!! It's over when you receive a welcome email :)

So many NYC new hires…so exciting! I think NYC needed a lot of new teachers this year (unlike last year…was stuck subbing for another year!)

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Congrats! I, too, was just hired in NYC for my first full time teaching position. It's so exciting...and a little nerve-wracking too.

Now that my paperwork is done (I hope lol), I have been making lists of things to do and buy. I have started shopping (when I see things; things are on sale) and have already spent a fortune! And, I am not done yet. They say this is the most expensive year, so I am expecting to spend.
    I have also begun gathering materials for curriculum and management plans. I want to get all of this out of the way, so that I can lesson plan in August. I'm not sure how your school is working this, but I am not allowed to start classroom set-up until the last week of August. I did go see my room this week and take a school mini-tour, but that was it. If you can get in to see your room, I would suggest it...and take pics. It really helped me to better visualize how I want my room to look, which is helping me to plan.
    Good Luck :)

15. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 19, 2014

Yay! Congrats!

16. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

I will be in the Washington Heights area! A bit of a trek but I'm just so happy to have a class!

17. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

How do I do that? Haha sorry if that's an obvious question!

18. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for the ideas!! Where did you get hired? What grade? I will definitely get started on behavior management. And no, I haven't gotten my email yet!!! The principal told me it takes a little while, but I am getting anxious! It's been almost a week since she told me I got the job! How long did it take for you to receive yours?

19. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Yay congrats to you too!! Where will you be teaching? What grade? I cannot wait to buy some things!! What have you gotten so far?

Also, how long did it take for you to get your paperwork? The principal said it takes a few days, but it's been about a week for me! I am getting so anxious!!

20. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you so much everyone! I am beyond excited to have my first classroom!!!

21. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Haha I cannot wait to start buying decorations!

Great advice, thank you!

Good to know! I will start looking into those programs!

22. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

It seems to vary as to when you get the nomination email, mine took 2 weeks. I know someone who at this point it's been 3 weeks and no nomination email. Some people got there's the same day.

23. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Oh wow!! I hope it doesn't take too long!! I think once I get that email, it will feel official!

24. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

I'm waiting for everything to be processed before it feels official to me.

Either way congrats! I grew up in Washington Heights. :)

25. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Haha I didn't even think of that! And aw really?! I want to explore the area soon since I wasnt able to when I had my interview... Any good restaurants or places to see over there?

What grade do you teach?

26. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

I will be teaching 5th grade.

There's a lot of cute places on Dyckman. That's bordering Inwood though so it depends how up north you are. I know there's this huge Irish bar around 168th that's pretty chill Ive been to a few times. But honestly I've only been up there a few times since I left 20 years ago. The Cloisters Park is really nice.

27. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Woohoo I can't wait to check the area out!! If only I get my email so I know it's official haha... I'm getting paranoid that the principal emailed the wrong person (even though she typed my email address and my name in the email haha)... I keep checking my email like crazy

Oh question- the email on my resume and the email I used for teach are different- do you think this would mess things up? Or would I get the email one way or another?

28. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

Whichever email your P has, hopefully the one you used to apply to the DOE New Teacher Finder, is the one the nomination will be sent to. It's the one you will use to complete the Applicant Gateway.

29. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Jul 21, 2014

Oh no, I hope this doesn't mess things up... I created the nyc teach account with an aol email, but then changed my email to a gmail to look more professional... My nyc teach account is still under the aol email, but the email on my resume, which the principal emailed me on, is the new one. Maybe I should call the hr number?

30. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

I would contact the P and tell her that's the email you used on the website. Call HR first thing in the morning as well. Although the nominations are handled by your network not HR CONNECT.