Just imagine...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SandyCastles, Sep 10, 2010.

1. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 10, 2010

Just imagine that you could not get into your school or classroom until the very first day of school. You will literally be handed your keys and pointed to your classroom with the kids arriving. On your way, the principal will shout down the hallway the grade you are teaching. Some kids may come this day, but many may not because the starting date for school was only posted in the newspaper this week and many may be off on vacation still.

THIS IS MY REALITY!!!

School starts for me on Wednesday. I only know that I will be in an all girls school, and will be teaching anything from Kg1 to 3rd grade. Probably either Kg 1 or Kg 2, but I have no idea which one. I will literally NOT KNOW until I get to school on Wednesday. There is nothing I can do about it so I have accepted it and I am pretty calm about it. Many of the other teachers who are here are not so calm about it. Patience is a big part of living in the Middle East and I learned that very fast. I thankfully am a very patient person to begin with and it is helping me a lot. It is becoming very obvious who is not patient and unfortunately those people are not doing as well.

Anyway, I guess I am wondering what kind of things you might do with your class if you had no idea how many of them might show up on the first day, or even which grade you were teaching? The classroom may literally only have desks and chairs. I did bring some things from home. Thankfully I brought a class set of whiteboards and markers, and some manipulatives and other things, but nothing will be organized because I don't have a chance to do it! I don't even know if there is paper in the classroom. Oh, and if I am teaching Kg, I have a coteacher that I'VE NEVER MET! :lol: It will all work out... just curious about some ideas. The language barrier is going to be the hardest part- the kids speak Arabic, and well, I don't! :whistle:

3. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

I'd play name games or songs. Like Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar etc.
    Is it your job to teach them English? Games like Simon says are great b/c kids can respond nonverbally.
    To an American teacher, your situation seems very odd, but to them it would seem odd that teachers come days/weeks ahead of time and plan every detail out. Best of luck!

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 10, 2010

I am teaching english, math and science depending on the grade. I could have one class all day which would be KG or switch between classes in grades 1 to 3 where I would have 2 classes. There are 940 teachers here all over the emirate for the english reform this year so this is HUGE. I don't even know how long the school day is. I am really excited because this is such an amazing opportunity, and still getting used to the culture and living in a hotel for a month with no end in sight.
    The first few days will definitely be interesting!

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

Wow, sounds like a great experience! Minus all of the unknowns, of course.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2010

I would say draw pictures of themselves and write or dictate about themselves but isn't their a prohibition on images of people?

I would just say they can't have a lot of expectations if they put you in that situation so wing it - read, sing songs, maybe journal, games, do basic getting to know you stuff until you find out more. Maybe have a science experiment like baking soda and vinegar...you can do it!