Just Hired as a Fifth Grade Teacher

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by l8ybugmom, Sep 4, 2009.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

I was just hired as a fifth grade teacher to replace a teacher who handed in her resgination. This teacher will stay at least for the next week while the vacancy is posted and my paperwork is completed. I'm a new teacher and I don't even know where to begin.

Obviously my first goal would be to make this transition time for the students easy--apparently at the beginning of the year (July 22 for these students), there were 2 5th grades but numbers were up and then they created another class. I'm not sure what teacher is leaving but if it is the newest teacher then these kids have been through a lot already. Any advice to help this transition easier for the students?

I still need to get more info from the P but I will be teaching every subject except math. I think she said I would be teaching two sections of reading and two sections of science and I would be teach SS to my homeroom.

I don't even know what do with my classroom because I haven't even seen it yet. I have interviewed at this school for a science lab position and a saw the lab but since this position literally came available late yesterday afternoon.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions and I want to thank you all in advance for your patience and willingness to answer my questions. :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2009

Congrats!!!!

No advice, but this is just wonderful news!

4. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Sep 4, 2009

Congratulations! In these tough times it's nice to see someone making gains for a change.

Hopefully, whoever you're taking over for has already broken the students in and you'll be able to ease into the role. Just make changes to suit your needs as you go.

As for "what to do", browse these forums. There are a lot of insightful people that post ideas here. Good luck!

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

I started in the middle of a year my first year. In order to make the transition easy, I just jumped right in where the teacher had left off. I didn't try to change much; I even followed some of her procedures (even though I didn't like them) for a week or two. Once the students were comfortable with me, I started making changes to procedures. By the end of my first month, we were all very comfortable and things were running smoothly!

Good Luck and have fun!

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

Lynn--excellent advice!
    100%--I hope they are 'broken in" LOL! I've been looking for awhile and I'm so glad to say I'm employed!
    Aliceacc--Thanks! :)

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Sep 5, 2009

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Sep 5, 2009

Congrats!!
    I'm a new (really new) teacher and I'm teaching 6th grade math. I was clueless where to start, even though I didn't start mid-year. I am on a great team and I ask them questions all the time. I also have become close to the math coach and she is wonderful, whenever I need any advice they are all right there. In addition, I observed another teacher last week, just to get some pointers and to see what I could do differently. Good luck--I'm sure you will do great!

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 6, 2009

like Lynn K., I also started mid-year and continued many of the previous teacher's existing procedures to make things easier for my kids and for myself. you can always just ask your students to review their routines and procedures and give you some feedback about how well they think they work; if they believe any changes could be made to improve them, you can work to make them happen. good luck!

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

Thanks! I found out that we're all new on the fifth grade team. 1 is new to the state but has been teaching for years and the other teacher is new, although I think she had an short interim before this. I'm choosing to look at the positive side of this--we'll all be open to teach other's ideas since there is no one to say "This is the way we've always done it."

The literacy coach called me this weekend to talk about the balanced literacy program they have at the school and to extend an invitation to come in to observe her teaching 3rd graders on Wed and a guided reading lesson on Thursday to fifth graders (I'm assuming some will be "my kids"). Additionally, I'll stay after on Thursday for literacy training. I'm very excited about all of this because I've heard great things about balanced literacy but I'm also a little nervous because all I've used before are the basals.

The literacy coach assured me that she'd be there for me in any capacity she could. :) Anyway, I'm sure I'll be coming back with more questions as next week approaches! I'm getting sooo excited!

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

You'll enjoy fifth grade. It is the best grade. I bet you couldn't tell that I think that from my screen name. :)

I hope you have a blessed year.