Just have to vent...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thirdgradebuzz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

I think my school ditrict has lost its mind. We have been back at work for a couple of weeks now and have been informed of a lot of changes.

My state now has 40% of evaluations tied to student growth. My division has not yet created pretests, mid-course, or end of course tests to use for any subject. We were told this week to "just give the diagnostic tests that come with the textbook series" for reading and math pretests. Unfortunately, there are no other comprable mid-year or end of course tests that would result in an accurate growth measure.

Teachers of all content areas are being required to attend ongoing content area meetings to "allow time for collaboration between schools." The meetings are after school, with no extra pay. There are 3 in September alone. Also, each teacher in attendance has to bring copies of the district pacing guide, state curriculum framework, and all assessments we give during the first two marking periods.

Lead teachers, who used to be paid an additional stipend but are no longer, will now be given a great deal more responsibility than in the past. They must now lead faculty meetings once/month and submit copies of agendas of the meeting to subject-area directors, for example.

We also have a new division-wide lesson plan format that we must convert lesson plans to.

Did I mention we have not had a raise in 5 years?

Gee, 2012-2013 is off to a great start! The good news is, my students are wonderful and I love the time we spend together. :love: None of the above is the end of the world, I just sometimes wish the "people in charge" would use a little more common sense in decision-making and provide a bit more professional respect to teachers.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Do you have a union? Ours wouldn't allow most of this.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

Non-union state, unfortunately.

What we do have is a newly reorganized central office with many administators new to their positions. My P told me today she believes they are attempting to demonstrate their power and control and establish authority. Apparently, principals are getting slammed with a lot more work to do, too.