Just had to share

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Margo, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 19, 2005

Things like this make my day: I have a student who is very low, who I am considering retaining. A couple of weeks ago, she finally started making the connection between letters and sounds and was able to read a simple, predictable story. After she read it to her partner, she came up to me and told me she read the whole thing by herself and gave me a great big hug (first time, ever). Today, she was writing in her journal and usually just writes random letters without any sound connection. She called me over to show me what she had written and she was able to read it back to me. Some words were sight words that she copied, others were kinda phonetic and others I couldn't read but she could. She reread what she wrote and gave me the same hug of appreciation as before. It makes all the bad days worth it. :love: :love: :love:

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 19, 2005

Margo - That is a great story. That kind of story is why I love being a teacher!

4. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Apr 19, 2005

That is so sweet, Margo! Thanks for sharing! It's great to have those breakthrough moments with kids you don't feel like you are reaching. Maybe she will have the confidence to do more for you now. She obviously loves you!

5. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 19, 2005

:cool: :p ;) :D :D :love: :) :rolleyes: :angel: WooHoo!!!!!!!! :angel: :) :love: :D :D ;) :p :cool:

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Apr 19, 2005

Margo--wonderful story! I'm so glad you are starting to see growth in your student...it makes such a difference:D

7. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Apr 20, 2005

I can only imagine your joy! What a fantastic moment for both of you! Keep doing what you do.

This is why I teach!
    :D