Just had my demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njteach16, Jul 25, 2007.

1. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Just had the a demo lesson for a fifth grade position in a great school district. They didn't tell me what it would be on. When I arrived they gave me 3 books on poetry, pen, paper, a packet of poems, chart paper, markers and post-its in a small conference room.

I then had 20 minutes to come up with a mini-lesson on using poetry in Writer's Workshop for the principal and vice-principal, as fifth graders with one or more of the poems in the packet.

I will say that I pulled it off. My worst fear was not being able to think of anything. I came up with a plan and implemented it. Maybe not the best plan... I only had twenty minutes to review materials and plan the mini-lesson.

Here's the catch. I was so afraid that I'd blank out, given the time constraints and uncertainty of topic that I was very nervous... I mean visibly nervous. I did tell them that this sure would've been easier with children, but I undestood it was summertime. The principal was real nice about it. Almost apologetic.

I hope that didn't impact my interview too much. This 2nd interview lasted over an hour. I was the most difficult interview/demo I have ever been on.

The good news is: It's over! I don't know how many others were doing demos, but I hope they were as visibly nervous as I was and that they had trouble with the lesson or topic! I asked the principal when he expected to make a decision and he said by the end of the week or early next week. I really wanted to get this job... I feel I didn't bomb it, but I didn't nail it either.

Not sure what to write in a thank you note. I already wrote one for the first interview. Any thoughts?

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Great!! In your thank you note, I would tell them how much I appreciated them allowing me to showcase your knowledge and experience. Also, How you do hope to hear from them soon.

You are right though. The best part is your are done!!

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Wow-I've never had to experience anything like that. I don't know if I would survive. It seems to me that it is a very un-natural situation-very similar to the Praxis III; except you prepare for the III before "performing" for the assessor. Good luck! I hope you get the job--you certainly worked for it.:up:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

OK, call me psycho.

But I think it sounds like fun. I like thinking on my feet-- chalk it up to a HS career spent doing Extemporaneous Speech.

I'm glad it went so well.

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

You're not psycho, you're just blessed with experience and more comfortable in a situation like that. I would be psycho until it was over!!

Hopefully, after gaining more years of experience, I won't be as intimidated by situations such as this either. But I remember going on those first year interviews (last year) and it is very scary. The more interviews I did, I became more comfortable and well-prepared. I love challenges too, but I must say, interviewing for a much wanted and needed job can be a very nerve-racking experience; especially when your inexperienced.