Just had my bird euthanized

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2008

We just came back from the vet. My bird had lead poisoning, still unsure from where. She seemed fine until this morning when they called to say that she was in resp. distress. We stayed with her for almost 4 hours. She seemed to be getting better. She even ate and drank water with us. We gave her lots of love and her favorite head rubbing.

So, we went home and about 2 hours later the vet called to say that she was getting worse. They tried to wean her from the oxygen and she went into resp. distress again. She was still breathing very hard when we got there. We stayed with her for about 2 hours when we decided that we needed to do what was best for her.

We had her euthanized. That was the hardest decision ever. I feel broken hearted.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

Oh, Peachy. I'm so sorry.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 27, 2008

-HUGS-
    I'm sorry you had to do that, but it was the best thing since she was not doing well. I worked in a vet clinic for 4 years, and it was always hard on both ends.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

Oh I'm so sorry. Hugs. What kind of bird was she?

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your bird. Every pet touches us in a special way.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2008

:hugs: Peachy, I'm so sorry!

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

It is hard to do the "right thing" but as good pet owners, we must. I'm sorry you had to make this difficult decision, but please be reassured that you did the loving thing. We have to love our pets enough to make the difficult choices, rather than the easier ones that are not in their best interest.

I'm sure your bird has found her way to the Rainbow Bridge!
    http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Keep the faith!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

I am so sorry! I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I know how hard a choice that was to make.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2008

We buried my bird a little while ago. Her name was Bridgette and she was only 2 years old. She was a cockatiel with so much personality. What's funny is that only a couple of days ago, my hubby and I went for a walk and talked about how wonderful our little bird is. And now she's gone. I decided to take my rabbit to the vet at least two times a year for a checkup. I think that if I took my bird to the vet, they MAY have been able to catch that there's something wrong. Anyways, thanks for the thoughts and prayers. It's funny how attached we get to just a little animal, such as a bird. But, with all of my pets, I never view them as a bird, or a rabbit. I see Bridgette who was pesky and loveable. Who refused to be in a cage and hang out around the house. Now, it's so empty. I hate this feeling.

11. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Mar 27, 2008

aww i'm sorry!! I used to have a bird that look almost identical to yours. I couldn't imagine going through that.

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

I am so sorry Peachy!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2008

This is a warning to all: please be super careful about the kinds of toys that is in your birdies cage. What kind of cage they have. Are they chewing on the wall or anywhere else. Birds are so sensitive. Lead can be anywhere. It's better to be super safe than sorry.

Bridgette didn't have a real cage nor does she care to play with toys, but she did like to chew on the fireplace and the wall. So, lead must be in one of those two places.

14. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Mar 27, 2008

Im so sorry, Peachy. That really stinks.

Also, if you use a Teflon pan in the house (who doesn't???) I know the fumes can harm/kill a bird in the house.

I know I posted some dangers to birds in another thread but I love those birdies too, and want to see them safe.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

Peachy- I'm so sorry. I had to put my cat down 2 weeks ago. I know how sad and empty you feel. Take care.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2008

Turtle, luckily everyone in my family knows the danger of teflon pans and birds. So, if anyone cooks with one of those pans, we turn on the fan and put Bridgette in another room. Can you put a link of the dangers to birds here? I would like to see it.

Dzenna, I remember your post about putting your cat down. I remember how sad that made me. I'm sorry about your cat. It's such a hard decision, isn't it.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2008

Thank you.

How are you doing?

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

Peachy, I'm sorry too for your loss. I used to have a bird when I was little named Mashed Potatoes (don't ask), he was awesome. I still miss that bird.

I'm concerned for you though-if your bird got lead poisoning somewhere in your house, are you and your hubby safe? Please get this checked out!

19. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

Getting by one day at a time...thank you

20. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

I'm so sorry!:(

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2008

That's what I was thinking about too. I've had two other birds pass away in this house, all with similar symtpoms. I'm also wondering what's going on, where the lead is, and is it strong enough to affect us. I need to get this checked out if we're going to rent this house out after I get my new job. Sigh.... one more thing to stress about. Mashed Potatoes, that's such a cute name.

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 27, 2008

Peachy - I am so sorry about your beloved bird.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

:hugs:

I'm sorry for your loss. It's tough to loose a beloved pet. I still haven't been able to have a dog since my "puppy" (an 11 year old, st. brenard/japaneese akita mix who weighed 170lbs) was put down 4 years ago. You have my thoughts and prayers with you.

As for the common symptoms, I think I would have your house tested ASAP. Is it an old house? Is there a chance that there's lead based paint somewhere in your house, maybe covered up by newer layers? Birds are super sensitive to lead, but small doses, over time, can be harmful to humans as well.

24. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Mar 27, 2008

:hugs:Peachy,

I am so sorry. I had to make this choice with my cat 4 years ago and it broke my heart. He was here and gone so quickly because he got sick. I blamed myself for not knowing, but I could not have in his case. I cannot even think about my dog in the future. She is literally the reason I can get up some days, not only with the stress I have been under lately, but because I have a chronic illness that could keep me in bed for hours. Because of her, I get up and get started. I absolutely adore her. So, I know the bond. Please do not blame yourself in any way. You loved her. And she knew it. Take care of yourself and please get your home checked to be safe.

25. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 28, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that Peachy. I can definitely relate to how you must be feeling, I had to put my rat to sleep...yes a rat, sounds strange...but they're our pets! I was very attached to that guy. It's a rough decision to make, but we know it's the best thing to do in the end.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

Well, the vet called. They got the results back from the lab. My Bridgette had 2 times the amount of zinc and, get this, 40 times the amount of lead! I am shocked. Our house was built in 1985, about 7 years after lead in paint was banned from homes. So, I'm so confused as to where that huge amount of lead came from. I think it came from two sources, either from the water or from her food and water dishes. I've read up on galvanize, which is a coating made from zinc. The tap water doesn't make too much sense though because we use tap water to feed our pets. So, it can only really come from the food/water dishes. Still, we've used those for years with our other birds, and they never exhibited any symtoms of zinc/lead poisoning. OH! And that's just from zinc. We still have the lead to figure out. 40 times!!!! Where did that come from. We are going to have this house tested, for sure. The vet said that Bridgette was quite a trooper. For having levels as high as that, she came in looking healthier than she should have.

27. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear about your bird, Peachy. I even mentioned you and your bird to one of my classes yesterday when we were reading about something in social studies. I told them your bird had lead poisoning, and you were trying to figure out the source. They were very interested. We were all wishing for the recovery of your bird. I hope you solve the mystery of the lead and zinc.

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

Peachy- I am so sorry you are going through this.:hugs:

I am wondering, in regards to the lead if there were any toys she may have in her cage that could have contaminated her. I am just thinking with all those toy recalls, maybe there were some lead tainted bird toys, too.

Lemon

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

Peachy and other Cockatiel owners

I found this site with very interesting info on it. You may already be aware of all this but I thought I would pass it on. I had no idea what a delicate bird they are. I thought the cookware part was very interesting. If you scroll down you will see zinc and lead poisoning.

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/hazards.html

Again, I am sorry Peachy.

Lemonhead

30. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

How tragic, I'm so, so, sorry for your loss.

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

Thank you for the link.

What's very interesting is that she does not have any toys nor a cage. She was never interested in those. I bought nice, expensive, plastic ones that had no metal parts. One of my birds played with them, but Bridgette did not. We also knew about the cooking one too. If we were cooking, I made sure that the fan was on, and Bridgette was out of the room.

So..... we are left wondering, WHERE DID SHE GET THE LEAD? This is such a mystery. I'm so glad that my rabbit lives outside in the backyard now. We found out that we can buy a kit to test for lead. I wonder how accurate they are. But, it wouldn't hurt to get started on testing for lead while we figure out a company that can come out and test.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

I keep thinking about my bird and how emotionally scared she was when she had to stay at the vet. The first thing she did when we arrived was walk over to the window of the incubator and put her head down so that she can get her daily head rubbing. It was the saddest thing ever.

Later, they put her into a small room so that we can take her out and try to get her to eat. The first thing she did when we opened the door was run up my husband's arm and sit behind his head. She was so happy and content. Poor thing. We rubbed her head and held her for 2 and a half hour. She so needed some human loving.

33. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Mar 29, 2008

I hope you can feel some comfort knowing that you took the very best care of her that you possibly could have done. Can you consider getting another bird soon? I have read all of James Herriot's books (All Creatures Great and Small, etc. - He was a vet). He always was a proponent of getting another pet when you lost one. Thinking of you...

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

check my new thread if you care to see where the lead came from

35. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 29, 2008

Peachyness, I'm so sorry to hear that. People who do not own pets just don't understand the bond you make with them. I find that animals are so much more honest and loving than most people. You know exactly how they are feeling at any moment and they are always happy to see you.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

Yes, I agree. Even birds have so much persoanlity and feelings. I can sometimes see the wheels turning in Bridgette's brain when she tries to be naughty or creative. She was such a joy and had to have her life cut short because big corportations only care about making money than the welfare of people and animals.

37. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about your bird. I know how hard it is to get through. And, how frightening to find out what supposedly innocent products are doing to our loved ones.