Just had 1 hour 20 minute job interview phone call

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Jerry Dill, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Apr 21, 2017

I had a two-part interview at a school. One interview lasted 30 minutes, and today's interview lasted one hour and 20 minutes. I mentioned to my interviewer today that I appreciated his extensive discussion of the responsibilities of the position and the school culture, and he seemed nonplussed. He seemed to size me up as a someone without a long attention span since I guess 1 hour 20 minutes is not a long interview from his viewpoint. Is 1 hour 20 minutes for part 2 of a job interview normal? In my experiences the job interviews last typically 30-40 minutes and no longer. Honestly, I am just venting because I now feel anxious that I left a bad final impression.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 21, 2017

My interviews have been less than 30 minutes. They've always had prewritten questions and have consisted of 2-10 people interviewing me. 1 hour and 20 min is LONG. It sounds a little intense to me. What kind of school is it? Did you get a good vibe from the school and the interviewer?

4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 22, 2017

depends on your point of view....in the engineering field, interviews commonly lasted 4-8 hours (after a phone interview). Of course the interview was not entirely one on one and included a tour of the facility and a chance to interact with your prospective peers.It takes awhile to assess technical proficiency as well as fit into the local culture.

In education, I have now been offered and accepted 2 jobs where the interview process lasted maybe 30 minutes. (Of course i always accept contigent on an opportunity to tour and inspect the school and meet with the faculty).My reaction is completely the opposite as yours...I wonder how such important decisions get made so quickly. Feels like getting hired at a McDonald's. I can only conclude that A) I am obviously such a superior candidate whose brilliance and mastery of the art of teaching is so obviously apparent that it reveals itself in under 30 minutes and thus the decision making process is made fairly easy for my prospective employer ;)or B) they are desperate for ANYBODY and that the only qualifications to get hired are a pulse and the appropriate certifications and licensure. The actual truth probably lies somewhere in between.

As stated above, I am completely the opposite of you. I always ask for more time in the process. You spent 2 hours with the P. I don't think that is an unreasonable amount of time. If I were you, I still would want to see the school and meet the faculty. You have to remember that the P (or anyone making a hiring decision) is making a sales pitch of sorts and often times the picture painted by the one doing the selling isn't the same reality being experienced by the teachers in his or her building. It is incumbent on the buyer (in this case you) to do a bit more research (imo). FWIW, I am not saying that all employers embellish the truth during the interview process but I have seen it enough over the years (in and out of the field of education btw) to be a bit skeptical. Good luck and hope things work out well.

and, one last thought...if you said something that may have upset the guy, I would take that as a positive. Sometimes personalities don't mesh. Much better to find out sooner (and not get a job offer) rather than later (after you are hired).

5. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Apr 22, 2017

This guy was really formal, and he spent 5 minutes giving me his bio and how he ended up being a teacher and coming to this school, then he spent 5 minutes describing the format of the interview. He had pre-written questions and spontaneously improvised questions depending on my answers. He quizzed me on subject content knowledge, teaching methodology, educational philosophy, and personal style types of questions. I appreciate his thoroughness, but most of my first-round interviews are 30-40 minutes long, and they immediately get a quick sense for me then make their decisions about who is moving to the second-round. This interview was three times as long, so I was just surprised by that and how formal the interviewer was.

As for my reactions to this position, I am not sure. This school strives for academic diversity so they do not group students by abilities but mix up abilities in a single classroom. I personally have found that both higher level and lower level students can find this ability mixing to be frustrating. As a teacher, this ability mixing can also be challenging to teach. The school is also located in a rural location, and I'm not sure I want to relocate from my current suburban location to a downright rural one. The school seemed fine in other respects, and I'd be okay/happy to teach there.

6. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 22, 2017

That's usually a very powerful sign right there. I have always found that the best job moves come with no upfront misgivings or concerns.I wouldn't move from a job I liked (assuming you like your current one) to one where I had any feelings of unease. Only accept better jobs (unless there are other extenuating circumstances - such as relocation for family reasons or spouse's transfer,etc.) What is your motivation for changing jobs?

7. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Apr 22, 2017

My current job has many different, shall I say, "challenging," aspects to it. You can do a search on my earlier postings on this website to see exactly the sorts of challenges I face at my current job.

8. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 22, 2017

My question to you then is how will you avoid getting into another 'challenging" situation? I am sure that your current job "sounded good" when you took it. This is why doing due diligence and taking your time through the process is critical...so you don't end up in another bad situation.

9. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Apr 23, 2017

I hope I'm in the position that I have multiple decent options to decide among. Sometimes a bad situation is better than no situation, however.